Backhoe CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on)

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #1  

mgstevens

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC2410 "Cliffy", JD R72 "Moe Greene"
Cool mod!? Having watched larger machines carry/use an extra clean up bucket (smooth edge) and noticing how darn useful they are, I really wanted that function for my GC2410 TLB. So, after a few design iterations, I got myself a plasma cutter and made fabricating one my "test project." Keeping in mind: no experience with the plasma, little with the welder, but with a burning desire to be able to maintain hundreds of feet of ditch, I dove in... Pics have roll-over alt text to simplify post.

welding-in-place for exact fitrough fit blade siderough fit bracket sideblade primed/painted (in vain..)IMG_3812.jpegAfter clearing 200' of ditchNot much residual soilwashed after first job. powder coat next timebracket side stayed mostly finishedfits in with the bucket quite well...

Fun project that really worked out great, even though the edge is not hardened (something I may do later..) it cut and scooped very well. Now I just need to get some finesse using it!

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #2  
"A Burning desire" he said...no pun intended ? Great project, nice job.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on)
"A Burning desire" he said...no pun intended ?
Well, the burning desire was to avoid mucking out the ditches with a shovel. I got the machine mostly to save my body. And to tackle much larger jobs without hiring a machine and operator. It just needs the right attachments. The newer CB65 BH has bolt-on teeth so a flat edge is possible with that one, this one has weld-on teeth, so I needed to get creative. I even thought about getting a second clean up bucket, but this was easier, a lot cheaper and a fair bit of fun.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #4  
Neat! I've also thought about that -- and how nice it would be to have.... Nice looking job.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #5  
Well, the burning desire was to avoid mucking out the ditches with a shovel. I got the machine mostly to save my body. And to tackle much larger jobs without hiring a machine and operator. It just needs the right attachments. The newer CB65 BH has bolt-on teeth so a flat edge is possible with that one, this one has weld-on teeth, so I needed to get creative. I even thought about getting a second clean up bucket, but this was easier, a lot cheaper and a fair bit of fun.

But will the bolts come out of the newer bucket to take the teeth off, lol (not easily ask me how I know).

Hoping someone will produce a 20” or so grading bucket.

Agco wants almost $800 for the 16” bucket.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #6  
Very nice work. I need to do that as well for the same reason.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #7  
I like it! Sure beats my method from a few yrs ago, I drilled a few holes in a 1x4, strapped that on against the bucket teeth. It kinda worked in a pinch, to scrape out a bunch of gravel, til I broke off one end of it.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on)
I drilled a few holes in a 1x4,
Ah yes.. looks like you may have forgotten to harden the edge of that 1x4. ;)

Hey, not only did this thing do a decent job of the ditches - especially as I was working out scooping technique in the process - but I was just extending some utility lines the other day, sewer and water, and the clean-up edge made backfilling the trench a sweet dream! With the float feature of the BH, this is a great addition to the toolset.

Next: weld-on mechanical thumb!

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #9  
Ah yes.. looks like you may have forgotten to harden the edge of that 1x4. ;)

Hey, not only did this thing do a decent job of the ditches - especially as I was working out scooping technique in the process - but I was just extending some utility lines the other day, sewer and water, and the clean-up edge made backfilling the trench a sweet dream! With the float feature of the BH, this is a great addition to the toolset.

Next: weld-on mechanical thumb!
It was pressure treated wood! Yeh, urs a good tool. I like stuff like that. There's a dude on YouTube, also with a GC tractor, welded a ripper tooth that straps on the hoe bucket. I may do that sometime.

I just finished welding teeth extensions on the thumb, this thing is a beast now.

/ CB05 Clean-up bucket edge (bolt-on) #10  
neighbor had a tow behind backhoe.
for straight edge a boss 9.2 v plow cutting edge provided an easily bolt-on edge.
since I killed an edge a year I always had at least one edge to give away.
he ran it as 4ft wide.