Cell Phone Opinions Please!

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please!
I guess you know that some of the AT&T stores are company stores with AT&T employees on salary, while others of the stores are franchise stores with a different owner trying to make money.

I've done much better at the company owned stores in the past, but as with any company, some stores have helpful employees while others have employees who are too lazy to do anything they don't absolutely have to do. And I've been to one of each of those company stores in the last week or two.:laughing:

As with any chain store, it all boils down to management!

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #22  
...dial the area code to make a call which is very annoying.... don't be so lazy, just dial the 10 digit number instead of the 7 digit one.....

It's always a good idea to dial the full 10 digit number when using a cell phone...you never really know what tower your phone is connected to, and what area code that tower is in.

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #23  
according to their website, net10 = tracphone. same company.

Yes. As I recall last month my wife's phone stopped working. I called the support line and got trac phone's service center. I spoke with a nice woman in India (I believe) with a very heavy accent ( she probably says the same thing about my accent :laughing: ). She was very, very polite and was able to talk me through navigating the phone menus to a place where she had me enter some code and reset the phone. I was back up and running in just a few minutes. I had to do the same thing for my daughter's phone over a year ago. Again, once you get past the accent, their service is outstanding. I give them the big thumbs-up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #24  
once you get past the accent

And when your hearing is as bad as mine, getting past that accent is sometimes impossible.:laughing:

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #25  
And when your hearing is as bad as mine, getting past that accent is sometimes impossible.:laughing:

Tell me about it. I work in a computer room with an air conditioning unit that is 6' wide X 4' deep by 6' high right behind my desk. Talk about background noise! :laughing:

I find that most phone support out of India is very competent. They do have to follow a script, though. Which means they have to start from the beginning and ask you all the obvious questions. They do not know the expertise or level of technical ability of each person they deal with. My being in I.T.means that is sometimes annoying, as "Yes, I already rebooted it" want's to spring from my lips! :laughing: So, I just sit back with a beverage and answer their questions as they ask them until we get to the parts that I do not know, then follow their directions and the problem is usually resolved before the beverage is finished. :licking:

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #26  
It's always a good idea to dial the full 10 digit number when using a cell phone...you never really know what tower your phone is connected to, and what area code that tower is in.

But when I'm in my own home, over 25 miles from a cell tower with a different area code, and dozens of local cell towers between us, I feel it should be very unnecessary for me to have to go through the added trouble of dialing 3 extra numbers.

I remember back when there were rotary dial phones and all commercial establishments tried to get phone numbers with ones and twos because people didn't like going to all the trouble of dialing eights and nines.

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #27  
But when I'm in my own home, over 25 miles from a cell tower with a different area code, and dozens of local cell towers between us, I feel it should be very unnecessary for me to have to go through the added trouble of dialing 3 extra numbers.

I remember back when there were rotary dial phones and all commercial establishments tried to get phone numbers with ones and twos because people didn't like going to all the trouble of dialing eights and nines.

Let's face it. There are more and more private phone numbers and it is just a matter of time before all of them will require 10 digit dialing. Area code splits are happening all over the country. Hey, at least you don't have to put the 1 in front of them anymore. :laughing:

I don't punch any numbers on my cell phone. I just feel for one buton on the side, push it then say "call work" or "call wife" or "call 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" and it makes the call. I don't have to look at the phone. I really like that feature. Sometimes technology is handy! :thumbsup:

Also, I almost always tell it to dial the numbers rather than the name of the contact. That way I memorize the phone numbers. If you have ever lost a phone or PDA with your only copy of the numbers in it you will understand why its a good idea to remember phone numbers. Besides, its good for your brain. :drool:

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #28  
With much trepedation, I updated my service with AT&T buying Samsung Captivate's for 99 each for my wife and I at Wally World. My wife is hearing impaired and even with a coclear implant cannot use a phone. We had been getting by via my elderly mother living with us but with her health deteriorating and all, I decided to ditch my single phone account and update with two phones so my wife can text me.

I certainly have a lot to learn about the Samsung but so far am not impressed. Mostly that is with on line help. Last time I called, I get someone who speaks better Chinese than English, go figure. The on line tutorials only go so far. Seems like when I answer a call, I fat finger it and I get some screen I don't want and cannot find my way back home.

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #29  
I have the Samsung Mesmerize (US Cellular's Galaxy phone), love the touchscreen for everything except texting. I seem to get multiple keys, guess it's my old arthritic fingers.

/ Cell Phone Opinions Please! #30  
We were using old analogue cell phones as they were best in our area.

Both our plans are (old plans) $10/mth with accumulation.

I rec'd a letter saying service was to be terminated Dec X and was offered an upgrade deal at 1/2 price.
Since I had accumulated mins I convinced them to use my credits to pay for the phone.

Then my wife gets same letter but procrastinates until Bell forces the upgrade and gives her a TOTALLY FREE phone. (never-mind the 1/2 price deal)

WOW, did the proverbial ***t hit the fan!
Took some time, about 1/2 hr listening to crummy musak, 'til I reached the supervisor and got them to re credit the mins the took from my plan to upgrade me.

The phone co's are slimey, make sure you get names and note every part of the offer clearly.

Up here the feds (CRTC) have forced MA bell to issue every user a credit due to overcharges.
Now bell is trying to offer a credit deal on new style 'do-dad' phones to avoid paying the credit.
It is my guess that the 'credit' is but a portion of the profit on that 'do-dad' phone (that you don't really need).

Guess I'm showing age. Gee, thought a phone was to talk on!

Still remember our first phone #---207-Ring 3-1 !
(and LOL, 'Sorry, I thought it was for me!) (or line goes CLICK --followed by, Mary get off the line---CLICK) LOL