cell phone signal repeater

/ cell phone signal repeater #1  

herm0016

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720h
looking at getting a cell signal repeater with an outdoor antenna. we have good service if you can stick your arm 20 feet up in the air, or walk up the hill, but not at ground level.

we are on Verizon but multiple bands would be best, as we have family on at&t.

any suggestions? we do use wifi calling but it seems to miss calls for some reason.

/ cell phone signal repeater #2  
   / cell phone signal repeater
Best to work with the lower bands for the furthest coverage. Thus, 900Mhz, 2.4G, 3G all do excellent. Once you hit 4G and 5G, there are no good gains because the transmitting wave is soooooo tiny, it's basically useless for a repeater to do well enough.

GSM 900Mhz 2G 3G Cell Phone Signal Booster Mobile Repeater Kit Cell Phone Signal Booster Amplifier - Walmart.com

4G & 5G are meant for speed, not for wide area coverage. So, repeaters and boosters work well in all the lower bands. :)

that should be fine, as our wifi is great for data. if my phone picks up one bar of 4g though, will it still use a lower band for text/calling if its a stronger signal? sometimes i have one bar of 4g and sometimes i have one bar of not 4g.

/ cell phone signal repeater #4  
that should be fine, as our wifi is great for data. if my phone picks up one bar of 4g though, will it still use a lower band for text/calling if its a stronger signal? sometimes i have one bar of 4g and sometimes i have one bar of not 4g.

Chances are when the 4G drops, the 2.4G is the default a phone will use. Seldom is 900Mhz even found anymore.

The repeater/booster needs to be located at the "best" signal strength in your area as possible. Then and only then can you reap the benefits of having much higher bars on your phones and devices.

You might need a squirrel and weather proof box with the repeater in it in a tall tree that is in the best signal area. Getting power up there is another question.

WeBoost has a product too.

This can be installed on the roof peak of the home.

i get much much better service when standing on the roof, so at the peak on the end of the house pointing towards town / between the hills would work well I think. we can see about 40 miles in that direction on a clear day. should have plenty of access to run the line in the attic.

thanks.

/ cell phone signal repeater #6  
i get much much better service when standing on the roof, so at the peak on the end of the house pointing towards town / between the hills would work well I think. we can see about 40 miles in that direction on a clear day. should have plenty of access to run the line in the attic.

thanks.
There are apps (I forget the name) which can show you where nearby cell towers are and their signal strength. Chances are you're served by more than one and when setting up antennae choosing the right one may make a lot of difference.

/ cell phone signal repeater #7  
Please don't confuse the X "G" with a frequency band. 4G DOES NOT mean 4 Gigahertz, nor does 5 G mean 5 Gigahertz. 3G 4G and 5G refer to technology advancements, and the G stands for Generation. NOT Gigahertz. Many of the newer technology's use even lower frequency's for instance 5G uses some frequencies in the 700 Mhz band.

/ cell phone signal repeater #9  
From the FCC website. Not only does 5g utilize 600 and 700 Mhz bands (much lower than conventional 3G phones), but it will also utilize much higher frequencies never utilized before. And yes 3G days are numbered and the time is short.

America's 5G Future​

Spectrum

The FCC is taking action to make additional spectrum available for 5G services.
  • High-band: The FCC has made auctioning high-band spectrum a priority. The FCC concluded its first 5G spectrum auctions in the 28 GHz band; the 24 GHz band; and the upper 37 GHz, 39 GHz, and 47 GHz bands. With these auctions, the FCC is releasing almost 5 gigahertz of 5G spectrum into the market—more than all other flexible use bands combined. The FCC is also working to free up 2.75 gigahertz of 5G spectrum in the 26 and 42 GHz bands and it has initiated a proceeding to make more efficient use of additional millimeter-band spectrum in the 70/80/90 GHz bands.
  • Mid-band: Mid-band spectrum has become a target for 5G buildout given its balanced coverage and capacity characteristics. With our work on the 2.5 GHz, 3.5 GHz, and 3.7-4.2 GHz bands, we will make more than 600 megahertz available for 5G deployments.
  • Low-band: The FCC is acting to improve use of low-band spectrum (useful for wider coverage) for 5G services, with targeted changes to the 600 MHz, 800 MHz, and 900 MHz bands.
  • Unlicensed: Recognizing that unlicensed spectrum will be important for 5G, the agency is creating new opportunities for the next generation of Wi-Fi in the 5.9 GHz, 6 GHz and above 95 GHz band.

thinking about this set up. i'm willing to put some money into a quality system.

i should have line of sight to 5 towers about 8 miles away, i would have to get a couple hundred feet up to get line of sight to other towers about 5 miles away. that super yagi antenna should do better at a long distance with line of sight.