Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck)

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck)
What gwstang has going on is an unfortunate, long term out come of the surgery. My best guess is his original fusion was down lower where irwin is looking at now, hence the issue in only the left side. As you move up you get it in both arms. Mine at 3,4,5 had it in both. The bulging or pinching that gwstang is getting is higher now so that is why he is getting it in both arms now?. This is only an observation, I have had an MRI since my surgery, and did not have any issues with what was in my neck. However, gwstang was done a while ago, so..... better stainless? Also, qwstang had his at a young age, mine was done when i was 52. As, long as i don't over head weld for a living, we are hoping i am dead by the time i need it again. Irwin, they can do injections into your neck, they are doing that on my lower back and it helps, if they go that route it is no big deal. Don't think that is going to be a long term option. they may try it to see where it is coming from, but since you are dropping things, its pinched and not a swelling issue. I have found it is better to not know what is going on until afterwards. Research the surgeon and not the surgery! As long as your over all health is good this is not that bad. The surgery is actually a relief!

not dropping things yet, so maybe they'll try a shot in the neck.. That sounds calming eh..a shot in the neck..yeesh

As far as how much I know.. probably too much for comfort, but knowing they can do amazing things now..that 20 years ago might of be more leading edge, stead of old hat, can give me some twisted sense of faith in modern surgery..if it comes to that.

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) #32  
Chiropractors, see one for my lower back and i am impressed with this guy. He is a doctor, don't know what that means, but he was able to order an MRI on my lower back and push for the epidermal, those are wonderful, have had several. He is part of an orthopedists group, works with them and the physical therapists. He has even made some calls on my behalf, so being part of that group has been helpful. He has helped my back as our goal here is to get the surgery pushed out until I am older so I don't need it again. I am interested to see what happens with gwstang. We are hoping for 10 years thinking going to get closer to 5. Bottom line is narrowing of the space is just that, nothing is going to make it wider, they can move things around, epidermal will help with the pain and you hope it doesn't get any closer. A lot of what happens there depends on your age. I'm 53 and otherwise in good health not over weight so surgery on my lower back will be in my future at some point.

An update:

Went to a neurosurgeon on thursday and finally got a look at my MRI. C6-C7 disc is pushed into the nerve bundle. I had a good conversation with the Surgical Physician Assistant, and we went over my options. He thought I'd need surgery sooner or later but while waiting for that I can try the Cortisone Injection, and hook up with a PT.

The last few days have been pretty good as far as pain is concerned.. The pain is there but no deep arm pain at all for 3 days, some pins and needles, but not as much. Still have shoulder and neck discomfort but compared to what I've been living with..it's a cake walk. I can make it bad again by turning or lifting my head too far..it's like the old joke " Doctor it hurts when I do this"..Doc says " don't do that" ...

Hope to get some seat time this season, got plenty of jobs I need done.. won't be cutting firewood anytime soon.. I'll feel that in the wallet come winter.

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) #34  
Let me tell you about "the shot"! They laid me on a table called a fluoroscope then put my head way back with a towel rolled up underneath my neck. Very uncomfortable! The Dr comes in and fidgets with your neck until he sees what he is looking for...the spot! He then sticks a long needle with syringe into the front of your neck depending on which side for your problem. It goes all the way through the front side of the neck to the back of the neck where the spine is located. He knows when he has hit the right spot when you feel an excruciating pain that just about makes you leap off the table...but you can't because there are several people holding you down...just in case you wonder why there are several people in the room with their hands on you. It feels like someone has jabbed a long electrical wire into your spine and shocked the he** out of you through the spine. For me, it definitely was painful. Very painful. Then it's over and they let your up. I went home thinking, "Never again Lord". Just kill me now and get it over with. After a few days, it does work on the problem nerve area and it will help you feel better overall. Mine only lasted for a couple of weeks then back to the same old problem. I will not go through that again. The original surgery was nothing compared to that, for me. Some people say the shot really helped them for a long time. I guess it depends on the severity of what is causing the nerve problem. It's worth a shot at fixing it...but be warned, it aint no fun! I will go back to the Neurosurgeon this winter and see if he will go ahead and fix me with another operation as My left hand and occasionally my right one is going numb and the neck gives me a head ache. No more shots though.

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) #35  
gwstang, how long ago was that? lets hope it was a while ago and they came along way. Skipped the shot in the neck. Surgeon said a waste of time.....he was pretty frank with me. He was looking at my lower back as i have issues there also, and he told me some surgeons would do surgery there, however now was too early and the shots would gain me a couple years. So, with that said I get the shot in my lower back regularly and it is not painful, they use a local anapestic and nothing like what you are talking about. Tim, you need to try the shots, if you can get a couple years all the better, you want to push the surgery out as far as you can, so it does not have to be done again. Like gwstang, if you get the shots and it only lasts a short period.... then surgery. Also, no that you have the MRI, you own it getting a second opinion, should not cost you anything, as they want the business keep in mind they make there money off of doing the surgery. The question you should ask is how good is it above and below where they are doing it? If that area is in good shape..... then there is less risk of having to have it done again and a larger/more fused. Me I just wanted it over and had it done!

Let me tell you about "the shot"! They laid me on a table called a fluoroscope then put my head way back with a towel rolled up underneath my neck. Very uncomfortable! The Dr comes in and fidgets with your neck until he sees what he is looking for...the spot! He then sticks a long needle with syringe into the front of your neck depending on which side for your problem. It goes all the way through the front side of the neck to the back of the neck where the spine is located. He knows when he has hit the right spot when you feel an excruciating pain that just about makes you leap off the table...but you can't because there are several people holding you down...just in case you wonder why there are several people in the room with their hands on you. It feels like someone has jabbed a long electrical wire into your spine and shocked the he** out of you through the spine. For me, it definitely was painful. Very painful. Then it's over and they let your up. I went home thinking, "Never again Lord". Just kill me now and get it over with. After a few days, it does work on the problem nerve area and it will help you feel better overall. Mine only lasted for a couple of weeks then back to the same old problem. I will not go through that again. The original surgery was nothing compared to that, for me. Some people say the shot really helped them for a long time. I guess it depends on the severity of what is causing the nerve problem. It's worth a shot at fixing it...but be warned, it aint no fun! I will go back to the Neurosurgeon this winter and see if he will go ahead and fix me with another operation as My left hand and occasionally my right one is going numb and the neck gives me a head ache. No more shots though.

Good Lourd gwstang!! That don't sound right. Not right at all. If that description doesn't make someone uncomfortable they weren't paying attention.

Anyone else want to build my confidence? :D I'm all ears.

gwstang, how long ago was that? lets hope it was a while ago and they came along way. Skipped the shot in the neck. Surgeon said a waste of time.....he was pretty frank with me. He was looking at my lower back as i have issues there also, and he told me some surgeons would do surgery there, however now was too early and the shots would gain me a couple years. So, with that said I get the shot in my lower back regularly and it is not painful, they use a local anapestic and nothing like what you are talking about. Tim, you need to try the shots, if you can get a couple years all the better, you want to push the surgery out as far as you can, so it does not have to be done again. Like gwstang, if you get the shots and it only lasts a short period.... then surgery. Also, no that you have the MRI, you own it getting a second opinion, should not cost you anything, as they want the business keep in mind they make there money off of doing the surgery. The question you should ask is how good is it above and below where they are doing it? If that area is in good shape..... then there is less risk of having to have it done again and a larger/more fused. Me I just wanted it over and had it done!

I'm not proud of this.. while I was reading gwstang post I laughed out loud even while a sense of panic gripped me. ;)

I have a new appointment with PT next week.. I'll get an opinion from the muscle manipulators and see if I can expect this *improvement to continue.

*(last few days I have a noticeable decrease in discomfort.. still have some pain, numbness, tingling, but I can deal with it better)

If PT tells me to try the shot I will... gulp...

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) #38  
I'm thinking it was two years ago. The memory is still very vivid. I whimper in my sleep just thinking about it...lol. :confused2: I don't think most people have it that bad with the shot. The Dr even gives some Demerol or such by shot a little bit before the main event. It didn't do anything for me. They know most people are pretty jumpy about having a needle stuck all the way through their neck. The dopy drug is just to make you relax a little so they can sneak up on you...lol :rolleyes: Dang, I think I would rather be mauled by a pack of angry chihuahuas than do that again.

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) #39  
..."Only thing I notice as a side affect is turning head looking for traffic, end up moving whole body. "

Ain't that the dang truth!!! Even hard to turn around to look behind a tractor!
Over the years I have had 3 surgeries on my neck to relieve nerve impingement. I broke my neck in a car wreck at age 20 and calcium has been taking over the joints progressively moving up from C6. After 3 surgeries, I don't have any nerve pain, but I only have 3 vertebrae that will actually move, the rest are all fused together. Looking behind or even to the side is either turning the whole body or use of mirrors. I do back into things a lot on the tractor when out in woodlands, but it is a small price to pay for not having the use of one arm. That is what always happened to me, first tingling in the arm and hands and if not fixed total paralysis. It took me a couple of years to regain the strength in my right arm after one surgery to relieve the pressure on my nerve.
I still get stiff neck a lot, but a few minutes on my Teeter inversion table and it helps a lot. I have a herniated disc in my lower back that gives me a lot of problems and inversion really helps with that also. I just hang upside down for a few seconds at a time, twist back and forth with neck and back then raise up. Repeat 3 or more times and it lasts for days, sometimes weeks. I am a believer in the inversion table therapy and it is much cheaper to just buy one than go to therapy for stretching sessions.

/ Cervical Radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) #40  
Tim,
All physical therapist are not created equal, if it is your first visit they will do an assessment, this should be a full fledged physical therapists. When i say full fledged, there are PT and PTA's PT's have 7 years of schooling and most have a doctor degree. PTA's 2-3, Some PTA's are very good. THE KEY IS YOU WANT THE SAME ONE EVERY TIME! Do not let them change physical therapists around on you and do not let them convince you otherwise! Also, if you do not like your physical therapist, ask for a new one right away. PT is a money maker, so consider going else where if not happy. I made this mistake and it cost me dearly.