Chain Harrow???

/ Chain Harrow??? #11  
Is it realistic to keep the disks high enough to turn the soil some without substantial disturbance to the soil?

With a Disc Harrow mounted on a tractor's Three Point Hitch -- YES

Discs towed behind ATVs are very light. Should not be an issue.

MORE: ADJUSTING Three Point Hitch Mounted TANDEM DISC HARROWS

A drag chain harrow and a Landscape Rake will both move organic material around but no incorporate the material into the soil. Would surface accumulation be a fire hazard where you are?

Last edited:
   / Chain Harrow???
Thanks Wagtail. "Perhaps, with a wee bit of research, there's a 'pine needle' rake that will suit your needs. Personally, I'd invest in the landscape rake as it could be utilised in a few more 'scenarios' around your property."

Have never used a landscape rake but concerned that it would gather up the mulched debris rather than mix it into the soil???

/ Chain Harrow??? #13  
Thanks Wagtail. "Perhaps, with a wee bit of research, there's a 'pine needle' rake that will suit your needs. Personally, I'd invest in the landscape rake as it could be utilised in a few more 'scenarios' around your property."

Have never used a landscape rake but concerned that it would gather up the mulched debris rather than mix it into the soil???
I'd 'Google' 'ATV implements for food plots' = there's a whole variety of ideas. The same principles that you want to accomplish apply to 'food plots'.

/ Chain Harrow??? #14  
We just covered our arena with pine shavings/sawdust to help firm up the footing and cut down on dust. After spreading it out with the FEL I used our 4'X4' chain harrow from TSC behind the Mule to smooth it out. I had the tines pointing back, not forwards, so it did not cut as aggressive as it could have. There was very little mixing of the sand and the shavings.

/ Chain Harrow???
With a Disc Harrow mounted on a tractor's Three Point Hitch -- YES

Discs towed behind ATVs are very light. Should not be an issue.

MORE: ADJUSTING Three Point Hitch Mounted TANDEM DISC HARROWS

A drag chain harrow and a Landscape Rake will both move organic material around but no incorporate the material into the soil. Would surface accumulation be a fire hazard where you are?
Yes on the fire hazard. Dry needles, etc. is very flammable. A concern is that the flames can ladder up smaller trees and bushes into the forest canopy.

/ Chain Harrow???
We just covered our arena with pine shavings/sawdust to help firm up the footing and cut down on dust. After spreading it out with the FEL I used our 4'X4' chain harrow from TSC behind the Mule to smooth it out. I had the tines pointing back, not forwards, so it did not cut as aggressive as it could have. There was very little mixing of the sand and the shavings.
Thanks Randy, your direct experience is very helpful. Was the "Mule" a Kawasaki one?

/ Chain Harrow??? #17  
I cannot imagine a chain harrow doing much to break up the material. I pull one quite often to smooth out the high spots in the lawn caused by the shifting clay soils we have and small rodents and it does a nice job of that. But it will either let the material pass through or bunch it. I suggest a small disc set very straight, i.e. not engaged in disc operator terminology, which will cut the pine needles and other items and get them to break down quicker. Your setting will determine how much dirt you move - from virtually none to a whole lot as shown in the videos.

A landscape rake will just pile p the trash which is fine if you are going to compost it and spread it.

/ Chain Harrow???
Thanks All. Sounds like the disc harrow is the way to go. Seems a little odd to be looking for a tractor implement for my atv but interested to see how this works out.

/ Chain Harrow??? #19  
I pull two chain link harrows side by side with a spreader bar.. The harrows are 5' wide x 6 1/2' long.. This to break down the weed and non edible plant stems in our old pasture.. It will clog up and self clean as it needs to as you go It seems to take care of itself pretty much..

Most unwanted plant stalks will break the stalks when bent like this and will ****** the growth of the un wanted plants while the good grasses will come back quicker than other plants.. It isn't likely the best solution, but a not bad solution and cheaper than some options.. Also good seat time..

/ Chain Harrow??? #20  
I would think a disc harrow would be too aggressive for what you want. Landscape rakes work fine if the ground is level, while a chain harrow will fit the contour of uneven land better. Jig points out that this would not totally eliminate the fire hazard, but I would think if you were to use a chain harrow to spread the dead vegetation out, knock it down and lightly mixed into the soil would be far less of a fire hazard than if you were to do nothing at all.
If you want the chain harrow to be more aggressive, just attach a railroad tie to the top of it.