Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting)

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #81  
Chain or forks? Why not both?
If you are using the chains to secure - no problem.
If you are lifting with the chains, they should be attached to lifting eyes or hooks - not wrapped around the forks.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #82  
If you are using the chains to secure - no problem.
If you are lifting with the chains, they should be attached to lifting eyes or hooks - not wrapped around the forks.
You talking in general terms, or responding to my post (since you quoted it). If responding, look at the pic again.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #83  
You talking in general terms, or responding to my post (since you quoted it). If responding, look at the pic again.
General terms. I have no problem with your lift.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #85  
I use both/either depending on the situation.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #86  
Hooks or chain slots on bucket are most useful thing I did to grab/hold/lift things...

bucket-jpg.684518

slots-3-jpg.684517

eyes-3-jpg.684516

The chain slots were just fabricated from some 2 X 2 X 1/4 inch angle iron... The shackle eye was from same angle iron just welded back to back...

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #87  
Chain slots are nice as long as you don't frequently use straps or rope for lifting.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #88  
Chain slots are nice as long as you don't frequently use straps or rope for lifting.
Yeah. See my post #70 above. While these hooks don't have the strength of welded-on hooks, I don't have the lifting capacity to bend them so they are strong enough for my use. And they are easier to use for rope, straps, or even to hook branches into them when I'm removing a downed orchard tree. My small chainsaw lives in a plastic 5 gallon bucket. It's easy to hook the bucket handle over the loops.

Photo: When my wife said she picked special apples way down in the back of the orchard but she wanted me to go carry them back ... no problem!
DSCN5022rAppleBucketsInLoader.JPG

(Yes this US-version Yanmar is all beat up looking. It looked like this when I bought it in 2003. Still runs like new. I wish prior owners had treated it with the respect it deserves).

Last edited:
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #90  
Good thread. I'll pass on some advice on grab hook sizing that a dealer gave me years ago that's served me well. For welding or bolting on an FEL bucket, 5/16" grab hooks are more versatile than 3/8". They allow you to use 3/8", 5/16" and 1/4" chain, depending on whatever you're lifting, pulling or securing.