Chain Marking I.D.

/ Chain Marking I.D. #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
After "google" search about chain manufacturers and chain markings, I'd like to be sure what the marks on my chain mean.

I've got 50 feet of silver colored 5/16" chain that has these marking every six links........"PM" and "M3" alternating every six links.

This must be grade 43 chain made by Peerless with a WLL of 5,400 lbs...I guess. After 164 pages of their catalog, I couldn't find the key to their identification.

Just for the sake of accuracy , what is the WLL etc. of this chain?

Cheers,
Mike

/ Chain Marking I.D. #2  
After "google" search about chain manufacturers and chain markings, I'd like to be sure what the marks on my chain mean.

I've got 50 feet of silver colored 5/16" chain that has these marking every six links........"PM" and "M3" alternating every six links.

This must be grade 43 chain made by Peerless with a WLL of 5,400 lbs...I guess. After 164 pages of their catalog, I couldn't find the key to their identification.

Cheers,
Mike

About Chain Grading

Chain strength is identified throughout our website by

Working Load Limits* (WLL) - the higher the WLL, the stronger the chain.

Chain Strength Chart
(Working Load Limit WLL Comparison Chart)

Gr 30

Proof Coil

A general purpose chain of standard commercial quality. Made from low carbon steel, this chain is frequently used for fabricating tow chains, logging chains and, when appropriate, tie down or binding chains. Hallmarked every 3 feet or less on sizes over 5/16" with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 3, 30 or 300. Not for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Here Specifications Here

BBB Anchor Chain

A compact (short) link chain of standard commercial quality. Made from low carbon steel, this chain is used primarily for boat windlasses when hot galvanized. Hallmarked every link with "3B". Not for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Here and Specifications

Gr 40

High Test

Strength levels are the same as Gr 43 but the dimensions of the chain links are smaller using ISO standards. Primarily used for boat windlasses, this grade has become a standard for that industry. The Grade 40 designation was exclusively used by ACCO Chain until 2005 to designate their High Test grade chain. They now use "43" in keeping with the rest of the industry. The chain is hallmarked "G4" on every link. Not for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Here and Specifications

Gr 43

High Test

This is a higher strength chain used for years in the trucking industry for tie downs that meet DOT specifications. Made from a higher carbon steel, its strength surpasses proof coil working load limits, size for size, by a factor of 2 to 1. Hallmarked every 1 to 3 feet with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 4, 40, 43 or 400. Not for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Bulk Here Order Assemblies Here Specifications Here

Gr 70

Transport

As its name implies Transport Chain is used primarily to tie down loads on over-the-road equipment. The yellow chromate (gold) plating makes it easily recognizable even from a distance. Made from heat-treated carbon steel it has about 25% more strength than high test chains. Hallmarked every 1 to 3 feet with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 7, 70 or 700. Not for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Bulk Here Order Assemblies Here Specifications Here

Gr 80

Alloy

The first chain specifically designed for safety and approved by OSHA and other agencies for overhead lifting. Its alloy, heat-treated steel makes it ideal for making lifting slings and heavy duty tow chains. Hallmarked no more than 3 feet apart with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 8, 80 or 800.Suitable for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Bulk Here Order Assemblies Here Order Slings Here Specifications Here

Gr 100

Alloy

This new innovation in alloy chain metallurgy provides about 25% higher working load limits over Gr 80 chain with some limitations reported in lower ambient temperatures. Hallmarked no more than 3 feet apart with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 10 or 100. Listed as suitable for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Here Order Slings Here Specifications Here

*WLL is sometimes called Safe Working Load (SWL)

THE MEANING OF CHAIN GRADE NUMBERS

The chain grade numbers which manufacturers use are actually one tenth of the actual grades. Therefore, our grade 80 is 800, grade 70 is 700, and so on.
Just for the sake of accuracy , what is the WLL etc. of this chain?

/ Chain Marking I.D.
So, on my chain, what does "PM" "M3" mean?.........or did I miss something in your reply....?
Thanks,
Mike

/ Chain Marking I.D. #4  
the 3 is no doubt grade 30. Silver chain is seldom high quality.
Most gr43 is black, grade 70 yellow etc

/ Chain Marking I.D. #5  
Grade 70 5/16" chain doesn't even have a WLL of 5,400lb. On the 5/16 grade 43 is 3,900 lb and grade 30 is 1,900lb.

The 3 on the chain designates it as grade 30. Here is a chart of WLL and you can click on the about link for info on the markings.

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/WLLchart.htm

/ Chain Marking I.D.
Thanks folks.........It never hurts to know the limits of one's tools. Today I broke the head off of a self tapping screw by using a wrench that was too big trying to force it into a hole too small. Just a minor irritant compared to knowing and abiding to the limits of a chain's WLL limit.

/ Chain Marking I.D. #7  
I wouldn't want to be caught with anything not marked Gr7 or higher! Doing so *might* be legal, but not very safe.

/ Chain Marking I.D. #8  
I wouldn't want to be caught with anything not marked Gr7 or higher! Doing so *might* be legal, but not very safe.

+1. For tractor tie downs, all of mine are 3/8" G70 with G70 and G80 hooks. The 6600 # WLL matches the tie down d-rings on the trailer. And the ratchets are WLL 7100#. For general use, on tractor chain, I prefer 5/16" G70 but have some 3/8" G43 also. The only damage ever to any of the transport rated chain is wearing off of the gold coating due to being drug through the woods, etc., many, many times.

/ Chain Marking I.D. #9  
Are the markings the same for chain from China? Is there any actual testing performed here in the US to make sure a grade 70 Chinese mfg chain meets standards? I purchased some chain from etrailer and didn't think about the CoO and they didn't divulge this either, so I'm a little concerned about using it to tie my machines down.

/ Chain Marking I.D. #10  
Are the markings the same for chain from China? Is there any actual testing performed here in the US to make sure a grade 70 Chinese mfg chain meets standards? I purchased some chain from etrailer and didn't think about the CoO and they didn't divulge this either, so I'm a little concerned about using it to tie my machines down.

All of my offshore manufactured chains are marked the same as the typical U.S. standards. I assume they are not tested here as testing standards for most normal things are left up to the manufacturers. I feel similar to you. But with my previous years of experience with HFT chains, I feel pretty confident that real use testing in my hands have proven them to be strong enough. The G70 3/8" chains I have are untested at this point and came from eBay. Same with the 7100# WL ratchets.