Chain pitch (size) differences.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I'm in the market for a general purpose chainsaw.

Models recommended to me are:

Stihl 271
Stihl 291
Husqvarna 455
Husqvarna 465

I've been told that a chain with larger pitch will cut better and last longer.

The Stihl saws have a .325" pitch, the Husquvarna saws have a 3/8" pitch (.375").

Is there really any noticeable difference in the performance or longevity of the chain sizes?

On the difference between the two brands, I've run into many fans of both.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #2  
I know that my 3/8 chain last drastically longer than my 1/4 chain. As far as Stihl vs Husqvarna chain I've got no idea. I prefer Husqvarna saws. The power to weight to cost is almost always better than a Stihl.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #3  
Mfg do a pretty good job matching chain to saw. So you are splitting hairs. Cut speed has more to do with chain type and how it's sharpened, than pitch. Some will argue that the .325 chain has a narrower kerf (removing less wood) and more cutters therefore it cuts faster it setup properly. 3/8 will likely last longer because the cutters are bigger so they can be sharpened more.

Then you can throw in things like 3/8lp chain...can it can get confusing. For just an average saw for a little cutting here and there and nothing serious, there are more important factors, IMO when it comes to deciding on a saw.

I personally wouldn't own any of the saws you list, even if my cutting was minimal

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #4  
I personally wouldn't own any of the saws you list, even if my cutting was minimal

Me neither. Homeowner saws suck. It took me about 3 cuts to decide my 372XP was money well spent. If you like spending more energy and time to do less work than a cheap saw might be for you.

Last edited:
   / Chain pitch (size) differences. #5  
I've been pretty happy with my 20 year old homeowner 025. My 362cm is nicer but the pro level saws do cost more. It's up to you if the amount you're cutting is worth it.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #6  
I'm in the market for a general purpose chainsaw.

Models recommended to me are:

Stihl 271
Stihl 291
Husqvarna 455
Husqvarna 465

I've been told that a chain with larger pitch will cut better and last longer.

The Stihl saws have a .325" pitch, the Husquvarna saws have a 3/8" pitch (.375").

Is there really any noticeable difference in the performance or longevity of the chain sizes?

On the difference between the two brands, I've run into many fans of both.

I've only got 4 Stihls and just one with either pico (.025) or .325" pitch (depending on the bar). And I stocked up on chain back about 2010, so I don't know if new chain has changed.

BUT - that being covered -
I've tried several brands of chain in sizes from a 10" bar to a 42" bar and found that Stihl brand chain was "harder". It didn't dull as quickly and required more effort to sharpen.

A chain with a shorter pitch is often narrower, a narrower chain put less stress on the saw. But you can get skip and semi skip chain also.

But to recommend a chain or a saw requires a lot more info than you've supplied.

What is your proposed usage?
I went for decades without a saw, then since 2009 I've acquired most of the saws in my sig
12" B&D 40 volt,JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

If you are 80 years old and only need to saw up a few fallen pine limbs a year it's far different from being 20 and cutting oak trees daily for making lumber until you are 80.

If you are cutting Aspen (Janka 380) it's far different from Osage Oange (Janka 2760). (Janka Hardness chart for Exotic Wood and Domestic Wood | Bell Forest Products

For occasional use the 2 Stihls you listed should do well for decades. But if you step up to a 261 you get a better built saw.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #7  
I wouldn't get any of those saws. For a Stihl, the 261 would be the saw to get. For a Husky, 550XP or 562XP. If you want a 50cc pro saw, the best I have run to date is the Echo CS-501P, and I like it better than the 261 or 550XP.

The 261 comes with 0.325" chain (not considered picco as far as I know) and it cuts great. The only reason some people convert a 261 to 3/8" pitch is so that they can share bars and chains with their other 3/8 saws. Otherwise you'll be fine with 0.325.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences.
Perhaps a little more info would help.

I currently have a Stihl MS180C (16" bar). I think I used it 10 times in the past year (not counting last Sat.)

I had 26 large pine trees taken down as they were infested with pine beetles. I hope we got them all but understand we may have further loss. Some have told me to be ready to lose all.

In trying to cut the stumps to about 6" or less, I used three chains and wore myself out with my current saw. Chains were sharp when I started. They dulled very quickly. I probably used 3/4 tank of fuel per stump. Very frustrating.

I knew it was lightweight and mostly a trimming saw when I bought it.

So, for a good general purpose saw that likely would get used, lets be generous and say 10 hours per year, what would you recommend?

I don't feel like I'd do a "professional" model much justice but if there is a good reason to spend that much more, i'm all ears.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
   / Chain pitch (size) differences. #9  
I can run a gallon or so of gas through my saw before the chain needs sharpening. If you don't heat with wood I'd probably skip the pro saw. Although never use one or it'll cost you money.

/ Chain pitch (size) differences. #10  
I purchased a Stihl MS271 with 18 in bar last Christmas. When cutting locust with the chain that came with it 3689 005 0074 26RM3 74. I was smoking the chain/bar with each cut. I switched the chain to the yellow link/RS full chisel 3639 005 0074 26RM3 74 and it just flew through the locust NO smoke. The difference was like night and day.

I have included some information on the chain. Some people say it dulls faster, I have not found that to be the case and I have cut 8 truck loads since Christmas with it and much of it locust. There is more kick back and you need to have a good hold of the saw as it really digs in.

I see a lot people cutting with the front half of the bar. I cut a lot faster using the back half of the bar.

RAPID Super (RS) | Extremely Fast-Cutting Saw Chain | STIHL USA