Chain sharpening woes.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #31  
I bought the Oregon sharpener last year.
It takes a bit to get used to it. After that, it works like a charm.
To the question, if ekectric sharpeners wear the chain faster? Depends how much you grind off every time.
On almost every new chain, I touch the limiters a bit. We have almost poplar and pine only. They can take a bit of a deeper bite.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #32  
https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-23820...ainsaw+sharpening+guide&qid=1641233501&sr=8-5

Like Oaktree, we've used the style for years. Clamp on bar, no need to remove the chain. Inspect the chain before starting, find the worst link. Count the strokes it takes it sharpen it. Give all of the other teeth the same amount on both sides. Otherwise, it may cut crooked in a larger log. Used the depth gauge w/flat file for the raker's. After a while, experience will let you take so many strokes with a flat file, compared to how many you made with the round file. Mark the first tooth sharpened with a lumber crayon, or paint pen, so you know where to stop. Been using this style for 40+ years around here.

Easiest to hold the saw in a Vise. Bought some used vise's at auctions, and mounted it on the carry-all for in field sharpening, if needed. Carried another sharpener, extra files in the tool box on the tractor used for wood cutting. Dad bought the first one's through a place in PA. back in the late 60's, early 70's called Zip-Penn. The name has changed, and can't recall what it is now. They worked so well, bought several more when they would have them on sale to have "just in case". Still a new one hanging in his sharpening shop, he made for sharpening blades for the band mill. Bought chain files in bulk, by the dozen. Then, were USA made, not sure about now. Still have 3-4 boxes of NIB files, purchased when they would run sales. Dad passed years ago, and my wood cutting amounts to cutting tree's around the hayfield, or cutting up limbs that have fell off neighbors trees surrounding that field. Enough on hand, to last me the rest of my life.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #33  
I have the Oregon bench style grinder. I could never sharpen a chain. This is as good as it gets for me

/ Chain sharpening woes. #34  
I sharpened thousands of chains in my youth working for my dad. The professional grinder setup was pretty straightforward and quick with practice. That setup made it easy to sharpen the teeth and shave a bit off the depth guage too. It had a handy flip stop for switching to depth guage. Having said that, I've taken mine to a local shop for a number of years. Recently picked up a HF sharpener to go along with Stihl files. It's easier to touch up a few at a time at home. I own quite a few spare chains and decided to stop paying to sharpen all of them.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #35  
I have the Oregon bench style grinder. I could never sharpen a chain. This is as good as it gets for me
A little pricey for me. I could throw away & replace a chain every time it got dull and still come out ahead.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #36  
A little pricey for me. I could throw away & replace a chain every time it got dull and still come out ahead.
The top of the line sharpeners can be a little pricy. I an running a Silvey 510 with ABN sharpening wheels. That grinder was $718 20 years ago, and the two ABN wheels are $270. Would like to get into the square ground stuff, but that Simington grinder for $1900 is a little pricy even for my line of work. Back when Silvey still made grinders the square ground sharpeners started at around $2000 and when up from there, and that was 10 years ago before going out of business.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #37  
I guess. if you buying cheap chains . My 20'' chains run about $30.00 each. More for my 372 with 28'' bar

/ Chain sharpening woes. #38  
A resourceful person might find one used. I picked up a used oregon for the price of about 4 good chains.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #39  
Amazon.com : Oregon 23820 Sure Sharp Chainsaw Manual Filing/Sharpening Guide , grey : Saw Sharpening Kit : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Like Oaktree, we've used the style for years. Clamp on bar, no need to remove the chain. Inspect the chain before starting, find the worst link. Count the strokes it takes it sharpen it. Give all of the other teeth the same amount on both sides. Otherwise, it may cut crooked in a larger log. Used the depth gauge w/flat file for the raker's. After a while, experience will let you take so many strokes with a flat file, compared to how many you made with the round file. Mark the first tooth sharpened with a lumber crayon, or paint pen, so you know where to stop. Been using this style for 40+ years around here.

Easiest to hold the saw in a Vise. Bought some used vise's at auctions, and mounted it on the carry-all for in field sharpening, if needed. Carried another sharpener, extra files in the tool box on the tractor used for wood cutting. Dad bought the first one's through a place in PA. back in the late 60's, early 70's called Zip-Penn. The name has changed, and can't recall what it is now. They worked so well, bought several more when they would have them on sale to have "just in case". Still a new one hanging in his sharpening shop, he made for sharpening blades for the band mill. Bought chain files in bulk, by the dozen. Then, were USA made, not sure about now. Still have 3-4 boxes of NIB files, purchased when they would run sales. Dad passed years ago, and my wood cutting amounts to cutting tree's around the hayfield, or cutting up limbs that have fell off neighbors trees surrounding that field. Enough on hand, to last me the rest of my life.
No need to pull a chain? How about flip the bar once in a blue, clean the rails, clean the oiling hole, and clean out the clutch cover are a few good reasons.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #40  
The top of the line sharpeners can be a little pricy. I an running a Silvey 510 with ABN sharpening wheels. That grinder was $718 20 years ago, and the two ABN wheels are $270. Would like to get into the square ground stuff, but that Simington grinder for $1900 is a little pricy even for my line of work. Back when Silvey still made grinders the square ground sharpeners started at around $2000 and when up from there, and that was 10 years ago before going out of business.
My pro sharp was under that 1900 mark brand new still in service to this day. The Silvey 500 I have is still in service from the 70’s, but for round I like my super jolly it’s like an Oregon 610 for harvester chains.