Chains vs straps

/ Chains vs straps #61  
Oh no, there's that accent again. :rolleyes:

He-ya and they-ya. Why can't they pronounce an R? I skipped to about 7:50 with the volume off. :thumbsdown:

I posted a link to this video because he shows a pretty slick way to secure the strap. His videos are from New Zealand and I have no idea of his nationality. I have secured mine the way he shows for quite a while, now, but feel free to ignore what he has to say. I just put this link up to maybe help someone.

/ Chains vs straps #62  
I posted a link to this video because he shows a pretty slick way to secure the strap. His videos are from New Zealand and I have no idea of his nationality. I have secured mine the way he shows for quite a while, now, but feel free to ignore what he has to say. I just put this link up to maybe help someone.

Some people already know everything and can't be helped.

/ Chains vs straps #63  
On the Smithsonian channel there's a show called Airplane Disasters. It's all about dissecting plane crashes. They had one where a plane hauling military equipment from a base in Afghanistan crashed right after takeoff. Turns out that the load master didn't have the proper training. The information he was using to strap down equipment just had the number of straps needed for a given weight. In this case a MRAP needed 26 straps and that's what he used. The problem is he didn't have enough straps to secure the load from moving backwards when the plane lifted off the ground. Most of the straps were basically in a vertical position.

A few years ago one of the local gravel companies lost a large dozer while going around a sharp corner. It was a very low speed corner and the driver wasn't going too fast. He just secured the load to prevent it from moving forwards/ backwards but the chains were too long and provided no side to side protection at all. I would of hated to be that guy and calling up the boss to tell him you made it less than a mile.

Securing a load to a trailer requires some thought about the forces that the load will see. As others have said, straps can get cut if they are not protected from a surface that can damage them. Both straps and chains can loosen up if the load shifts or can compress. I use chains simply because I have them. My lever style binders are made by a company called Dixie and can be locked to prevent them from coming undone. I do use straps but I have protectors to keep them from getting damaged. One of the local fire departments will put old fire hose by the edge of the highway after cutting off one of the connectors. However I think you can stop in and ask. Another poster said they do the same thing. A fire hose makes for good protection for straps and for protecting a tree of you need to wrap a chain around it for a vehicle recovery.

/ Chains vs straps #64  
On the Smithsonian channel there's a show called Airplane Disasters. It's all about dissecting plane crashes. They had one where a plane hauling military equipment from a base in Afghanistan crashed right after takeoff. Turns out that the load master didn't have the proper training. The information he was using to strap down equipment just had the number of straps needed for a given weight. In this case a MRAP needed 26 straps and that's what he used. The problem is he didn't have enough straps to secure the load from moving backwards when the plane lifted off the ground. Most of the straps were basically in a vertical position.

A few years ago one of the local gravel companies lost a large dozer while going around a sharp corner. It was a very low speed corner and the driver wasn't going too fast. He just secured the load to prevent it from moving forwards/ backwards but the chains were too long and provided no side to side protection at all. I would of hated to be that guy and calling up the boss to tell him you made it less than a mile.

Securing a load to a trailer requires some thought about the forces that the load will see. As others have said, straps can get cut if they are not protected from a surface that can damage them. Both straps and chains can loosen up if the load shifts or can compress. I use chains simply because I have them. My lever style binders are made by a company called Dixie and can be locked to prevent them from coming undone. I do use straps but I have protectors to keep them from getting damaged. One of the local fire departments will put old fire hose by the edge of the highway after cutting off one of the connectors. However I think you can stop in and ask. Another poster said they do the same thing. A fire hose makes for good protection for straps and for protecting a tree of you need to wrap a chain around it for a vehicle recovery.

That crash was a 747-400 carrying 5 MRAPs, and was operated by National Airlines (a US charter operator). The accident occurred on 09 Apr., 2013,at Bagram AB, in Afghanistan, with all 7 crew members being killed.
The tie downs on one of the MRAPs apparently broke on A/C rotation, causing the vehicle to slide aft.
Thus the CG was out of limits, and the A/C pitch became uncontrollable.
Aviation errors are often killers!

/ Chains vs straps #65  
Sorry have not read 64 posts to know if this has been mentioned:

Straps should have a half twist. A flat strap will fly in the wind and oscillate but with a half twist the oscillation will be thwarted. One end of the strap will try to fly differently from the other.

/ Chains vs straps #66  
I use lever style load binders and secure the handles with an extended hasp padlock. Keeps the binder from opening and prevents your stuff (including the chains) from disappearing while you stop for lunch.

/ Chains vs straps #67  
If you follow a lumber truck or veneer truck out west this is what you will see. And you will also see drivers stopped here and there checking their straps.
Lowboy operators hauling log loaders, roto saws, yarders, skidders, cats, NEVER go cheesy on binder applications. The more chains and binders the better. Triangulation is really important.

/ Chains vs straps #68  
i haul my DK45 cab tractor quite often. always use chains and ratchet binders. i also carry some lever binders, but after nearly breaking my jaw on a cheater bar once years ago...i gave up on them. i can secure the load fairly rapidly and im not worried about a strap breaking.

/ Chains vs straps #70  
Greetings. I was hauling a John Deere 3039R for a friend recently on a 550 mile trip. All we had to tie down with was 2" ratchet straps. I had a mix of Macs and Husky straps. We put 8 straps on the tractor. It seemed like overkill, but we had them and I wanted to use them. About half way through the trip, we hit some really bumpy roads so we decided to stop and check the straps. The webbing had broken on one of the Husky straps. Needless to say, this somewhat broke our confidence in the straps. All I ever hauled heavy has been Jeeps. Are straps even considered safe for hauling a tractor like this, or should I have used chains? Asking in case I ever need to haul it again. Thanks!

View attachment 676880

I have mostly road speed farm tractors, but when I do trailer my equipment for long distances, I always use chains. I am a decades long CDL holder and I know cops like to see rolling equipment chained down.
Exceptions where I will use a ratchet strap include a loader bucket, zero turn mower, other small things.