Chains vs straps

/ Chains vs straps #41  
When I load my CUT I chain down the front then reverse 'til the front tires flatten a bit, set the brakes and proceed to cross chain the rear.
That way I only need to use but one binder.
Drive off and stop to check tension after about 10-15 mins.

/ Chains vs straps #42  
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the binders (ratchet or lever type) are not to be used as the final chain connection. The chain must be connected to the deck or tie down point and to the item being hauled directly. The binders just attach parallel to the chain and take out the slack.

And yes, use high strength chain, not grade 43 or less!

This is incorrect!

https://www.totallandscapecare.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/06/Tie-down_BWS9476.jpg

You are incorrect. That picture is fine. If you disagree, please provide a reference.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmc.../Drivers_Handbook_Cargo_Securement_508CLN.pdf

Notice on page 105, the chain doesn't go past the binder.

Also, here is a video with specific answer from DOT officer.

Load securement with Officer Hoover and Steve with Speed binders - YouTube

/ Chains vs straps #43  
I use these 2in straps with chain ends on both strap and the ratchet. I still have to ensure the strap isn’t rubbing but the chain eliminates some worry.

Way overkill with 4 at 3,333lbs working load on a small tractor but it doesn’t budge. We use them on a BX2360, B2601 and will use them on the MX5200 next time it’s trailered.

IMG_2044.JPGIMG_2045.JPG

/ Chains vs straps #44  
Key element "the load has to become an integral part of it's platform. If not, and any small movement get's amplified by the inertia of the load. All straps stretch under load from that inertia. That is why you see commercial haulers checking their straps and/or chains often and at every scale or pit stop. I have had my little BX loosen in a chain bound configuration due to the compression of the tires. If you notice large equipment, especially tracked stuff are usually double chained beyond minimum requirements. One of the worst loades is where you have metal against metal, guaranteed to slide. Always use wood dunnage between metal surfaces. Professionals don't take chances but many amateurs do, usually due to lack of knowledge.

Ron

/ Chains vs straps #46  
Key element "the load has to become an integral part of it's platform. If not, and any small movement get's amplified by the inertia of the load. All straps stretch under load from that inertia. That is why you see commercial haulers checking their straps and/or chains often and at every scale or pit stop. I have had my little BX loosen in a chain bound configuration due to the compression of the tires. If you notice large equipment, especially tracked stuff are usually double chained beyond minimum requirements. One of the worst loades is where you have metal against metal, guaranteed to slide. Always use wood dunnage between metal surfaces. Professionals don't take chances but many amateurs do, usually due to lack of knowledge.

Ron

Plus laziness and hubris.

/ Chains vs straps #47  
When my new Kubota M6040 was delivered - six chains on the tip-bed truck. One on the bucket, one on the drawbar, one on each of the four wheels. As delivered the new tractor weighed around - 9100#.

The driver said that they used chains on everything. Saved storage space and the chains were adequate for any load the truck could carry.

/ Chains vs straps #48  
I use these 2in straps with chain ends on both strap and the ratchet. I still have to ensure the strap isn’t rubbing but the chain eliminates some worry.

Way overkill with 4 at 3,333lbs working load on a small tractor but it doesn’t budge. We use them on a BX2360, B2601 and will use them on the MX5200 next time it’s trailered.

View attachment 677323View attachment 677324

Those strap ends are making my eye's twitch.

I started using this method last year for dealing with the strap tails and it has changed my life:thumbsup:

/ Chains vs straps #50  
Those strap ends are making my eye's twitch.

I started using this method last year for dealing with the strap tails and it has changed my life:thumbsup:

Yea that’s before I trimmed them down. Ended up cutting them down to about 15ft to get rid of the excess tails. I lasted about one day with them at original length and couldn’t stand it! Took longer to zip tie the tails than strap it down!