Chainsaw 101 for novices!

/ Chainsaw 101 for novices! #22  
Depending on where one lives, NON-Ethanol gas may be available as a premium pump product. If so, it mixed with Stihl's Ultra oil makes for the best mix one can run for a reasonable price. That's all I use in ALL my saws and other 2 cycle mix engines.

Same here. Also run it in my 4 cycle small engines too. I use the E10 in the automobiles only. The no ethanol premium is about $2.12 per gallon here now.

/ Chainsaw 101 for novices!
As was properly pointed out, chainsaws are potentially very dangerous to use. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted to begin with... that said, I was simply reporting on my personal observations, trying to be helpful. Maybe that's better left to experts!
I had priced the VP racing fuels, and at $15+ a gallon, plus the travel involved to get it, the premix gas at $18 is my choice, until something more reasonable comes along for storage purposes.

/ Chainsaw 101 for novices! #24  
For the Canadians, VP Race fuel is available through W.O.Stinson out of Ottawa and they will ship it to your your nearest local station where you can pick it up without delivery charges :thumbsup: If you have to ask how much it costs up here, you can't afford it.

/ Chainsaw 101 for novices! #25  
//As for pricey gas, I also hate wasting money, but when I was running with ethanol gas, even though I would run the saws dry before storage, they always gave me trouble the next time until whatever deposits were in the carbs got cleared. Switching to the liquid gold gas, no problems at all. So I will run the last tank, and the first tank, with the good stuff. Too bad we don't have any small airports close by.
My Stihl chainsaw didn't seem too picky about Ethanol gas, but we also have one of their four stroke (but premix) string trimmers. It started first pull last spring with the good stuff. Left ethanol fuel in it late summer and it took draining it out and refilling it with Mogas to get it going again.

Yah, maybe I wasn't clear about the gas... I am fine using the ethanol mix, it's just that when I let the saws, or any other 2 cycle engines, sit with it for a while, starting and running smoothly is always a gamble. Almost like it is gunking up the carbs. So I don't let them sit with ethanol gas, and I am good when I need them again.

/ Chainsaw 101 for novices! #27  
Yah, maybe I wasn't clear about the gas... I am fine using the ethanol mix, it's just that when I let the saws, or any other 2 cycle engines, sit with it for a while, starting and running smoothly is always a gamble. Almost like it is gunking up the carbs. So I don't let them sit with ethanol gas, and I am good when I need them again.

Go out and buy the Marine Sta-bil. the green stuff. I've been using it for yrs. with no problems, even in the engines that sit over the winter. My wood splitter sat for two yrs. the gas dried up but started right up with new gas. The Marine Sta-bil doesn't allow the varnish to form that clogs up the carb.

David

I will get some of the Marine Sta-bil. It sounds better than the regular red stuff I have used for years, in any gas I bring home, just on principal. There are horror stories from outboard engine boaters using ethanol gas, so maybe this will help address that? I tend to leave gas in my generator, but I close the fuel valve and let it run dry. The next start, which can be 6 months down the road, usually starts on the first pull, so I am good with that.

/ Chainsaw 101 for novices! #29  
   / Chainsaw 101 for novices! #30  
The no ethanol premium is about $2.12 per gallon here now.
You are living right! Can't really find it let alone buy it here... and it won't be 2.12!