Buying Advice Chance to buy L4400 HST

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I have a chance to buy a 2010 L4400 HST from an aquantence. It has under 400 hours on it with a 703 FEL without a SSQA. (Will want to add that SSQA to add a grapple). The price seems really good. (Under 15,000). I currently have an M6800 that I bought new in 2004. I have less than 850 hours on mine. I'm considering selling my M6800 and using the L4400 instead. I put up 1000 small square bales of hay per year. I use a NH sickle mower and older MF 3 baler. Do you guys think the L4400 is capable of handling all my hay making chores and running an hydraulic log splitter, etc.? That and bush hogging I amostly what I use the tractor for.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #2  
Tractors in general dont run log splitters well. Splitters usually run a 2 speed pump. High flow for fast retraction & extension. But when it encounters resistance it drops the flow so it can kick up the pressure. Either you go with a smaller cylinder for decent speed or a big cylinder that is slow but has the power.

I'm happy with my L4060, but it's probably a bit small for hating. Loader capacity is a bit under a ton & think that one is a few hundred lbs less. I could use a few more HP for mowing, but it's not bad in the slightest. Anybody not a mile up in Colorado will have 15-20% more power because they have oxygen though.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #3  
What’s the thought process behind downsizing?

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST
Well my thought's are a couple:
My wife is planning on retiring soon and would be taking over much of the farm work. While she has driven the m6800 a couple times, she finds it a bit intimidating. I thought a smaller tractor would be a better fit.
The folks selling the tractor are friends and I though it seems like a really good deal.
Our current property has heavy clay and I have been stuck a couple times in precarious situations having to crawl out using the bucket. My current tractor is 2wd and this one is 4wd.
Finally, if we move up north, I figure it would be easier to transport than the bigger tractor.

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the machine. It actually has only 301 hours on it. Got it for a super price. Now I have to go get it and trailer it back. It's about 2.5 hours away.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #6  
Well I pulled the trigger and bought the machine. It actually has only 301 hours on it. Got it for a super price. Now I have to go get it and trailer it back. It's about 2.5 hours away.

let us know after using it a bit if you still like it.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #7  
Congratulations on the new tractor Hiptfarms! Be safe towing it back home.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #8  
glad you are satisfied with your L 4400 purchase. in terms of price, i paid 19k in '08 for a new L4400 (gear), so i'd say your purchase price waa by no means a steal, but probably close market value i found the 4400 to be a solid reliable (bare bones) tractor but way too small for my purposes.

having said that, imho the older M6800 was one of the best M series tractors sold. there's a huge difference between M6800 & the L 4400 series tractor. however you seemed to have made a well reasoned decision & am sure it will work out for you. best regards

I will let you guys know how it all turns out once I get it back to the farm. Thanks for the input!

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #10  
I like the way you are doing this. Buying the L4400HST at a really good price while keeping the M6800 gives you the leisure to compare them.

In my opinion, good used tractors bought for that kind of price aren't a bad investment. Youi may not make much, but you get the use and are unlikely to lose much either. Money in the bank.
Sounds like a good decision to me,
rScotty