Buying Advice Chance to buy L4400 HST

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #21  
I plan on running it for maybe 10 hours and doing another oil change. It's cheap enough to do.

As well, I change mine as hot as I can get it, usually after working and running hard. If there is any sludge, it stands a good chance of getting it out of there.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #22  
So I immediately went to work changing all the fluids and filters. The air, oil, fuel all went smoothly. I then dumped the dirty hydraulic fluid and pulled the larger filter. That went fine. Then came the hst filter. That thing was extremely difficult to get off. I tried 9 different wrenches over the period of a week with no luck. I even bought a 28 dollar channel-lock specialty wrench for oil filters and still no luck. Finally I had a friend put steady pressure on the back side of the filter with a chain vice wrench while I tapped on the grooves on the mouth of the filter with an offset flat cold chisel. That worked. But it was definitely a bear.

Both my hydraulic filters on the M59 were on very tight, too. I went through several tools before I found a combination using a commercial band wrench and a cheater handle that would move them. It took hours. When I got the filter off, the pipe nipple that it screws into the transmission housing was loose and wobbling. So I retightened that using loctite on the threads into the block.
Then lubed the filter seal, turned it until it contacted the surface and then an additional 3/5 of a turn just like it says on the filter.
BTW, my OEM filters are not gray, they are white.
rScotty

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #23  
The hydraulic filters on my L4060 were on dam tight & in a spot you can't get any torque on them. Think I used a cold chisel & hammer to loosen things up. Luckily there are lugs cast into the base of the Kubota filters by the threads for just such a need.

They put the filters on before they paint the engine & tranny, so they end up Kubota grey.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST
Yeah they really mean for those filters to stay on there. These are the wrenches I used to try to get mine loose: a band wrench with a cheater bar ( bent it), 3 different adjustable filter wrenches ( Bent one) including the 28 dollar Channel-lock one, a pipe wrench with cheater bar, 2 different spider 3 prong type wrenches with cheater bars ( broke one), a band wrench/ chain hybrid from Tractor Supply that was a waste of ten dollars, a chain wrench, and a chain vise wrench. Ultimately, the chisel in combination with the chain vise wrench got it. But, I did actually bend the first one of those wrenches that in bought.

I had already punctured the filter to drain it thinking maybe there was some kind of pressure in it so I couldn't just pour the fluid back in and drive it on a trailer to take it to a shop. And, I was determined not to pay the 100 bucks to the tractor shop to get somebody out here. So to make sure that I got as a grip as possible, i wound up putting silicone in the hole i put in the filter and then sprayed it down with a citrus degreaser and wiped it clean. And I doubled a full size sheet of 320 grit sandpaper the long way and wrapped it around the filter just to help with the grip a little. (It really sucks to slip a wrench off and slam your fingers. )

And my very short term use assessment this far: no way will this tractor replace my M6800. I definitely will be holding on to it.

Frankly, I hate the sound of the hydraulic system while running the little tractor. No disrespect to any other owners out there, but it feels like an overgrown lawn mower compared to the bigger tractor. I suppose if I had never owned the M6800 before the L4400 I would not feel that way. And I do like that it's easier to go backwards - no shuttle shift to deal with. And it is nice to go under some branches of trees that normally smack me in the face or arms. I do think it will be more maneuverable in some tight places like in between trees in my orchard.

I think this may be a good compliment to the bigger tractor but certainly not a replacement for it.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #26  
The tight factory filters only seem to get tighter with age so I replace mine ASAP on a new or even used machine. I've broken a few filter removal wrenches. I've had the best results, of all things, with the Harbor Freight curved jaw locking vise grip type of wrench. It squashes the filter but has removed some mighty tight ones.

My L4300 is a gear transmission, and I like it for ag use. The hydro may whine and may sound like a lawnmower but it is bulletproof beyond bulletproof and with SUDT2 Kubota synthetic is even better. There are lots of tasks that a hydro works better for.

I'll keep that info in mind about the SUDT2 fluid. Maybe I'll switch to that next time I change the fluid. Thanks for the tip.

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #28  
The tight factory filters only seem to get tighter with age so I replace mine ASAP on a new or even used machine. I've broken a few filter removal wrenches. I've had the best results, of all things, with the Harbor Freight curved jaw locking vise grip type of wrench. It squashes the filter but has removed some mighty tight ones.

My L4300 is a gear transmission, and I like it for ag use. The hydro may whine and may sound like a lawnmower but it is bulletproof beyond bulletproof and with SUDT2 Kubota synthetic is even better. There are lots of tasks that a hydro works better for.

"...and with SUDT2 Kubota synthetic is even better."

Hey, Sixdogs,
What is there about it that makes you say that? Have you tried other HST fluids? SUD2 might be better, but maybe not. In my machine different fluids make different amounts of HST whine. It's enough to notice.

The one time I tried SUD2, it whined so loud I immediately drained it and went back to New Holland GL134. That was recommended by my Kubota dealer and it is what they use in their own shop.
Getting rid of the SUD2 and going back to the GL134 got rid of the HST noise in my Kubota....and also relieved me of a wad of $100 bills. :) which didn't make me happy, although I felt it was money well spent.

I wonder if Messick's has discovered the same thing about the HST fluids? They might have, being a big dealer who sells both Kubota and New Holland.
rScotty

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #29  
And my very short term use assessment this far: no way will this tractor replace my M6800. I definitely will be holding on to it.

Frankly, I hate the sound of the hydraulic system while running the little tractor. No disrespect to any other owners out there, but it feels like an overgrown lawn mower compared to the bigger tractor. I suppose if I had never owned the M6800 before the L4400 I would not feel that way. And I do like that it's easier to go backwards - no shuttle shift to deal with. And it is nice to go under some branches of trees that normally smack me in the face or arms. I do think it will be more maneuverable in some tight places like in between trees in my orchard.

I think this may be a good compliment to the bigger tractor but certainly not a replacement for it.

Sounds like you have a good understanding. It will compliment the M. You'll figure out when. Thanks for the followup. :)

/ Chance to buy L4400 HST #30  
"...and with SUDT2 Kubota synthetic is even better."

Hey, Sixdogs,
What is there about it that makes you say that? Have you tried other HST fluids? SUD2 might be better, but maybe not. In my machine different fluids make different amounts of HST whine. It's enough to notice.

The one time I tried SUD2, it whined so loud I immediately drained it and went back to New Holland GL134. That was recommended by my Kubota dealer and it is what they use in their own shop.
Getting rid of the SUD2 and going back to the GL134 got rid of the HST noise in my Kubota....and also relieved me of a wad of $100 bills. :) which didn't make me happy, although I felt it was money well spent.

I wonder if Messick's has discovered the same thing about the HST fluids? They might have, being a big dealer who sells both Kubota and New Holland.
rScotty

It came to pass when I used Deere trans fluid (had it on hand) in my B7800 that has a hydro. The difference was immediate in that I had more whine and it didn't have the tightness and responsiveness it had before. If I recall, it was not many hours before I dumped it and went to SUDT2. I did a thread on it. It's interesting about the NH G134 and I don't know why that would be different than the Deere. I know I used it in my 2110 and 1900 Ford gear drives and I liked it.

I just researched it a bit and learned there is a NH134 and a NH134B but I have no clue about that. I'm all ears on this and interested to know anything you might know. Trans fluid is like a dark art but I suspect synthetics are the wave of the future.