Change e-mail address

/ Change e-mail address #11  
When we changed to fiber with local power company comcast let us continue to keep our email addresses. Cannot add new ones but could retain existing ones.

/ Change e-mail address #12  
bigtiller,

MossRoad's answer is spot on since I presume you get to choose when you leave your current email provider and move to the provider using fiber.

I would suggest a 12 to 18 month cut over to catch those once per year notices. Create one or more gmail ( google ) accounts.

I have several gmail accounts and each is created for a different purpose. This keeps different types of email separate so I don't "lose"/ overlook an email because of clutter. This also tends to keep the junk email limited to one account because some businesses sell your email account name to make money. One devoted to financial transaction ( bills, bank, investments ). One devoted to IRS and other govt agencies. One for general use for signing up at web sites that will probably sell your email name. One for friends and family. I think you get the idea

Pay the bill for the current provider for 12 to 18 months and set up a forward to the general use gmail account. Carefully monitor that account for who is sending email. As you get an important email then go to that web site and revise the email of record to one of the newly created accounts, as appropriate.

Sign up now for the provider using fiber and enjoy the speed/ bandwidth of fiber for everything but the email account. Creating an email account at fiber provider puts you back into the same boat you want out of.

ps. Bernie ( feel the Burn guy ) has been happily sending email to my HappyForTrash acct for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
   / Change e-mail address #13  
I have had the same e-mail since the beginning. But now we have the opportunity to up grade to fiber cable with a different company. If we do the change over, our e-mail address will change.

How much of a hassle is it going to be to change over?

We have a number of companies, government entities, etc. that are impossible to talk to a human being to make the transfer easy. I have no idea how to do this.

Even here on tbn, I have no idea how to change my address without loosing my history.

Anyone ever done it before, and survived?
Get an email with one of the free ones that work with any others, like gmail, hotmail, etc. Don't tag yourself to your internet provider.

I had a heck of a time convincing my wife to get us off CenturyLink to Comcast because of slow speed, etc. because she was afraid of changing her email (had an embarqmail one via CenturyLink). Well, it only took a couple days. Not bad at all. Every one of them seemed to be different in what you had to do. Not the easiest thing, but not bad.

Much better on Comcast, but they have no competition on high speed out of town here and keep raising the rates.

/ Change e-mail address #14  
I pay $3 a month to the former ISP so I didn't have to change the email address I had for many years when we went to HughesNet.

When we changed from HughesNet we did not have to do anything to keep getting emails.

I don't know how it works but it works great.

/ Change e-mail address #15  
Timely. I just changed my email on TBN as we are in the process of dumping the ISP. While you MAY be able to continue to get emails, don't depend on it.

It can be a good way to shed junk email...at least for a few days.

/ Change e-mail address #16  
I don't think ISP drop email addresses just because you switch to a new ISP. I still give out my AOL email even through I haven't used them in over 20 years.
It depends (like most things in life). I just went rural and have a line of site dish company as ISP. I’ve had att email (xxx@att.net) for the last 28 years and they told me I would lose it immediately. I chose to use DIRECTV at my new house though, and since they are Part of att I get the honor of keeping my att email until I cancel DIRECTV.

I immediately signed up for a gmail address and started using that. As emails come in to my att email I either change the address with that company or ignore it as something I don’t care about

After 6 months I’m not getting many att emails that matter anymore. I’ll let that address go altogether soon.

(Yes, I even asked att if they would let me keep it if I paid some monthly fee just for the email address and the answer was NO until they realized I had a DIRECTV account)

/ Change e-mail address #17  
I had an ISP address when I first went online. That company sold out or something, so it became a dead account. I've had the same Yahoo account since going online in 2001. I don't want to think about how many accounts I'd have to change if I ever switch from this one.

/ Change e-mail address #18  
just curious...how many that use a g-mail account have read the entire TOS and UAs...???

/ Change e-mail address #19  
I have something close to 30 email addresses from a number of providers including ProtonMail listed above. Many of them are for single or very limited purposes where only a few companies have it. Others are for more general use.

It all depends on the ISP you're leaving if they kill the account right away or allow a transition period. Only they can answer that question.

And no, I don't use spyware like Gee! Mail!

/ Change e-mail address #20  
just curious...how many that use a g-mail account have read the entire TOS and UAs...???
Don't use Gmail for anything you value. Good for registering for forums and the like, but nothing of import.