Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #31  
I am not religious about annual oil changes, but dont want to get excessive if I only use something for 10 hours a year I am not waiting 10-20 years to change the oil.

Go by hours....but if you use it frequently (and get it up to operating temp), then Im not afraid to go 2-3 years on oil before I change it.

But the worst part is if you never get it up to temp to burn off the water. Like someone only using their tractor for 5 min at a time, once a week to haul trash to the end of the drive.....thats bad because you are never getting to operating temp. In that scenario Id do it annually.

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #32  
I'm guessing this has been debated before . If you can post a link that would be great.

I have about 40 hours on my Branson 2515H and will be taking it in for the first oil change and Fluid Swap .

I believe the book states 300 hours for next full service . Do you guys run your tractor the 300 hours on the same oil
or should a guy change it every year regardless of the hours ? My guess would be 60-80 hours a year seeing how I only get to
use it on weekends .

Thanks
Dan
Do what feels good to you. Either way, won't make a tinkers damn of difference that is detectable. Nothing to debate.
Books had to have a number, so one of 300 hours was picked.
Oil is cheap IMO.

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #33  
The discussion I see missing in this thread is the application of common sense. If an engine is ran hard it probably needs changed more often than if it is not. If the tractor sets out in the weather it probably needs changed more often than if it sets in a covered, dry storage area. If you use synthetic it will probably go longer before breaking down. What in the manual is a guideline written for those who have difficulty in using common sense. I sure don't see the manual guidelines as a firm rule.

In general oil is usually changed far more frequently than necessary to maintain engine longevity. You really have to get fairly stupid to cause engine oil related problems with modern oils ad filters. Sending your oil off for analysis is probably the best way to evaluate yourself as to see if you are being **** concerning oil changes. An inexpensive home use oil quality analyzer will steer you the right direction, particularly on small engines. With one I have found the time an engine will go between oil changes varies significantly and is always longer than "recommended".

As to those who say oil is cheap, and excessive oil changes are cheap insurance; that may be true but indicates to me that one has a fairly low regard for environmental issues. Recycling oil is not nearly as environmentally friendly as not using it in the first place.

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #34  
As to those who say oil is cheap, and excessive oil changes are cheap insurance; that may be true but indicates to me that one has a fairly low regard for environmental issues. Recycling oil is not nearly as environmentally friendly as not using it in the first place.
IF people were environmentally concerned they wouldnt using an ICE that requires oil.

300 hours or every year or two, weather it needs it or not.....you have consumed and burned 100x's more fuel than an oil change. Environment concerns are the last thing on my mind when deciding to do an oil change or not....lol

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #35  
I'm guessing this has been debated before . If you can post a link that would be great.

I have about 40 hours on my Branson 2515H and will be taking it in for the first oil change and Fluid Swap .

I believe the book states 300 hours for next full service . Do you guys run your tractor the 300 hours on the same oil
or should a guy change it every year regardless of the hours ? My guess would be 60-80 hours a year seeing how I only get to
use it on weekends .

Thanks
Dan
I do my engine oil once a year.. Approx 100 hours. Same deal with fuel filters. Every year in October, just before snow falls

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #36  
How much oil, and fuel, does one use sending that $40 sample off to the lab across the country?

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #37  
How much oil, and fuel, does one use sending that $40 sample off to the lab across the country?
Not enough to even bother discussing the issue!
Absurd!

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #38  
   / Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #39  
Maybe I'm **** about oil changes, but I do mine every year even though I don't reach the hours. Manual says "XXX hours or yearly" so I keep it simple and do what the manual says. It would likely cost the same or more to send oil for analysis than the cost of the oil and I certainly can't hurt the tractor by changing the oil more frequently than I really need to.

/ Change oil every year or at the recommended 300 hours #40  
A friend of mine said that when he was in the military they would go out in the yard, fire up generators, scrapers, cats, etc, warm them up and change the oil.
Year after year! No hours on them since the last change. He said the drained oil looked like it was coming out of the jug.
Ain't no way that anyone will convince me that isn't a complete waste.
100 hours on the Jinma and maybe every 5 years on the Massey and it still won't have 50 hrs on it. 7500 miles on synthetic in vehicles.