Changing HST oil

/ Changing HST oil #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
What idiot figured out the way to change HST oil on the TC (5610)? I changed the filters and oil this weekend. The oil is supposed to be siphoned out of the reservior. Siphoning out the oil from the reservior is very slow and doesn't remove a third of the oil from the entire system. I removed about 2 gallons but the entire TC holds about 7 gallons. Rediculous. I thought about attaching a hose to one of the front or rear hydraulic outlets on my TC and run the hydraulics just enough to remove most of the oil. I think the potential damage to a pump would be minimal and the TC would probably just shut itself off due to low oil. Any opinions?

Furthermore, getting access to the one HST filter is easy. The other located in the mid rear of the machine is a PITA. On a 5610, the radiator/oil cooler needs to be raised (not too difficult). However, to reach and remove the filter is a big pain due the the filter being hidden by oil hoses and located deep in the machine. There are 2 big lines which run to the rear pto that are completely in the way. Had to remove these 2 lines from their supports to move them enough. The manual makes no mention other than to just remove and replace the filter.

I give BC a 2 on scale of 10 for HST oil/filter changes.

/ Changing HST oil #2  
I agree. This was a pita.