Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
Guys - Here is a review of my filter cleaning experience that I think may help others - Please feel free to Comment/add/Change

Tools you need - 5 Gal John Deere 303 or equivalent Hydraulic fluid, 12mm wrench or socket for the filter bolt, _____sized socket for the Drain plug, pliers to remove cotter pin from the clutch rod, container to drain the fluid into, funnel for refilling the fluid, carb cleaner or equivalent solvent.

1. From Mark - Run the tractor up to temperature, shut down and drain all the hydraulic fluids (see attached picture for drain plug). I still don't know what size that drain plug is - I bought and returned several metric sockets, I bought up to 26 mm that was too small - 30 is too big - So, I'm still working on that. I ended up using a Crescent wrench.

2. Use pliers to remove the clutch rod (see filter2.jpg) below. Then use the 12mm socket to take out the 3 bolts pictured in the triangle shaped piece (I guess some tractors only have 2 bolts).

3. Pull the screen/filter out - It is pretty long which is why you have to remove that clutch rod (see picture filterg.jpg below).

4. Clean with solvent (I used O'reilley carb cleaner for $1.59) it worked well.

5. After the screen is completely dry, reinstall it. The instruction manual says to use a layer of silicone around the edges - I did not do that as it had no silicone on it when I removed it - It worked Ok for me without it.

6. Reconnect your clutch rod.

7. Reinstall your drain plug.

8. Fill with 5 gallons of hyd fluid - John Deere 303 or equivalent. (Costs about $30)

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 3,162
  • filterg.jpg
    filterg.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 3,790
  • filter2.jpg
    filter2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 3,051
   / Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #2  
Good stuff, rgood.

So, has this improved or made a difference in the way your transmission and hydraulics operate?

Mark

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #3  
Did mine a couple of weeks ago. The one additional step I did, (fluid hadn't been changed in quite awhile,) was to leave the drain plug out and spray brake cleaner in the housing and clean it out good. I had a little bit of sludge in the bottom of mine.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #4  
Wow ! Don't look like they changed the fluid or cleaned the filter B-4 you bought it

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210
I'm pretty sure they did change the fluid - I can tell because there was a new O-ring on the filter. I don't know if this sludge came from the new Koyker loader (I thought I read something about that in another post) or what the deal was.

As to how it runs now - I'll have time to test it out tomorrow - I changed the fluid while it was in the trailer and I started up to check for leaks. But haven't had it out of the trailer yet.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #6  
So that's what a dirty filter looks like. Did mine about 3 weeks ago, and it spotless.

Its got to be a happier tractor with all that cleaned out.:)

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #7  
Sludge comes from the whole system. These tractors have generally been sitting for quite some time in Japan, and it usually takes hours of running to gather all the sludge at the filter. Therein lies the problem for dealers. Simply changing the fluid usually won't prevent such a problem....the tractor needs to be run for hours to allow the dried sludge (if there is any) on the sides and bottoms of all the housings to soften, mix with the oil, and get caught at the filter. It happens on a small enough % that a dealer really can't justify operating the tractor for the necessary hours to see if it will happen. And as you have discovered, correcting it is a relatively simple process.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #8  
LMTC said:
Sludge comes from the whole system. These tractors have generally been sitting for quite some time in Japan, and it usually takes hours of running to gather all the sludge at the filter. Therein lies the problem for dealers. Simply changing the fluid usually won't prevent such a problem....the tractor needs to be run for hours to allow the dried sludge (if there is any) on the sides and bottoms of all the housings to soften, mix with the oil, and get caught at the filter. It happens on a small enough % that a dealer really can't justify operating the tractor for the necessary hours to see if it will happen. And as you have discovered, correcting it is a relatively simple process.

Good point. Mine may have been clean for that reason. I'll check it again after 20-30 hours of use.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #9  
sorry New 2 site. I found what I need. Thanks

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210
LMTC can the fluid be filtered and reused - Or if I have to change it again, is it another $30.