Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #11  
Oil, hyd fluid or any oil type product can be screened, cleaned and reused, but it's hardly worth the savings involved. For years we used to filter final drive oil in our Cats, trans oil in the tractors, but I don't think it was a great idea. While oil and lubricity will pretty much stay constant, there are many additives to oil that give it unique properties, properties that may be lost or diminished over time. What I would suggest is to use the filtered oil for chainsaw lube or general lube use in applications that are not critical. The reality is that the replacement cost of a tractor just won't warrant the economics of using filtered oil. It's not that it can't be done, it just doesn't make a lot of sense dollar wise. Older, simpler machines like the 8N would probably fair better, but why do it at all? That's a weekend or two of beer for a lot of people, why not just redirect the cash and help out the physiology at the same time?

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #12  
another foreign ***** pill add?? whats the deal. look at the locatiob how can they not be filtered as spam?

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #13  
Man that screen was clean compared to my Yanmar 4220D. By the way on my tractor that is just a prefilter screen, it also has a filter to change. When I got it, I only got about 10 hours on it before the screen clogged and I had to change the oil as it looked greyish green with sludge and crude. The filter screen was clogged with some slimy stuff. I got about 5 more hours before the system clogged up again. Each time I cleaned the screen, replaced the oil(about 7 gallons) and changed the $30 filter. After the second change, I got about 10 more hours and it started to slow down on the hydraulics so I used the fel to slosh the oil back and forth for several minutes by jacking up the front and dropping it down several times to really slosh the oil around. Then I drained and replaced it all again. It worked well after that and swabbing out the bottom with a rag prior to refilling and replacing.
5 ea 5 gallon cans of oil, 3 filters and several dozen oily rags later it worked well till I sold it. I think that grey/green slime was a type of clay that must have got into the reservoir when the tractor was used in the rice fields of Japan or it was intentionally put it prior to them shipping it over here. Dealer obviously didnt flush it out.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #14  
So, how did you guys know you needed to clean your hydraulic filter? What are the symptoms? I bought my 2210 this summer, and I haven't changed the hydraulic fluid yet; only put about 20 hrs on it so far.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #15  
thank you for the instructions!
very helpful for a newbie
+ James

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #16  
These old zombi threads keep getting dragged up. Haha I see I dragged it up back in 2012 from 2007 the first time

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #17  
thank you for the instructions!
very helpful for a newbie
+ James

The instructions are good, but the JD303 is BANNED in 46-states.

John Deere and Yanmar came up with the Hy-Gard J20C instead. Yanmar just calls it something else.

This should cover it seeing you are in the south. Or maybe ASC has it too.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal

Note: this is not for HST systems that call for something else.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #18  
The instructions are good, but the JD303 is BANNED in 46-states.

John Deere and Yanmar came up with the Hy-Gard J20C instead. Yanmar just calls it something else.

This should cover it seeing you are in the south. Or maybe ASC has it too.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal

Note: this is not for HST systems that call for something else.
I am pretty sure they still sell 303 fluid around here?

Also we have always been told that the universal tractor transmission /hydraulic fluid is fine In The power shift models. Also told that in cold wether that you can use ATF.

/ Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #19  

Also we have always been told that the universal tractor transmission /hydraulic fluid is fine In The power shift models. Also told that in cold wether that you can use ATF.

Only Universal that meets or exceeds the J20C standard.

Bet the JD303 you are looking for isn't the real deal. Impossible to have any company meet or exceed that standard.

Here's the real reason why ...

And the CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS that followed !

Outlawed in Georgia too.

Attachments

• did_you_know_john_deere_303_thf.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
   / Changing Hyd fluid/Cleaning Screen YM2210 #20  

They may still sell something labeled JD303. However the original specs call for whale oil. Since whales are a protected species and whale oil is no longer available and there is no replacement for it in any standardized formula, every source I know of has recommended a switch even in our 40 yr old machines to adopt the JD20C rated hydraulic oil.
There are still a few areas where it may be available but....