Cheap Genie scissor lift

/ Cheap Genie scissor lift #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
Pretty sure I scored on this one....1999 Genie GS 2646 with 618hrs, for $1k. It needed batteries, but after installing them everything works except the 120v outlet on the deck (which doesn't run off the batteries). My neighbor bought it from a guy who painted airplanes (why it's covered in gray primer) and hasn't used it since finishing a job with it over two years ago. The primer/paint is so thick I've been able to scrape big chunks off it pretty easily. This is going to make doing the barn ceiling (white steel siding) way easier...when I'm done I'll sell it, and think I might even make some money if I clean it up a bit.

462A72D2-A2CF-40E5-ACCE-F5E9CEE6B97F_zpsgsv77vad.jpg

/ Cheap Genie scissor lift #2  
The outlet should be an easy fix. It's just an extension cord from the base of the unit to the platform. It's meant to avoid a cord hanging from the platform. If the cord got hung up on something as you're moving, it could pull the lift over.

/ Cheap Genie scissor lift #3  
Looks like you scored. Machinerytrader has several 1999 gs2646 models for sale in the 4-5K price range. Maybe a little cleaner than yours but you shouldn't lose on that deal.

/ Cheap Genie scissor lift
The outlet should be an easy fix. It's just an extension cord from the base of the unit to the platform. It's meant to avoid a cord hanging from the platform. If the cord got hung up on something as you're moving, it could pull the lift over.

I'm pretty good with electrical stuff, so I wasn't too worried about the outlet, and most of my stuff is cordless now anyway. Either way, I plan to fix it just in case I need it.

Looks like you scored. Machinerytrader has several 1999 gs2646 models for sale in the 4-5K price range. Maybe a little cleaner than yours but you shouldn't lose on that deal.

Yeah, I looked at those as well...hard to go wrong at $1K plus a couple hundred for batteries. I do think my ladders are a little jealous though :D

/ Cheap Genie scissor lift #7  
i agree. we use a couple lifts at work. service outlett at top is simple cord issue..

Seems to fit between the trusses just fine :D

7C793EB7-2FC5-4830-9E1F-5C87944B8932_zpsg4stw7oh.jpg

/ Cheap Genie scissor lift #9  
Bart, I think you did good on price too - last year I bought an older StratoLift - 25 foot lift, 4x10 foot platform, slightly different mechanics than the Genie. I gave $1100 for it, last week I found a place that had just the 4 horse DC motor for the hydraulics, they wanted $1900 for the motor :eek:

I'm curious about the batteries yours takes, where you found them, whether you got the same type as original, etc - mine don't seem to hold a charge very long, and I'm considering whether to replace them (mine takes 4 6 volt monsters in series for 24 volts) or build a "sidecar" for my 8 kw generator and try to figure out how to convert things from there :rolleyes:

Anyway, any info on your battery deal would be really appreciated... Steve

Bart, I think you did good on price too - last year I bought an older StratoLift - 25 foot lift, 4x10 foot platform, slightly different mechanics than the Genie. I gave $1100 for it, last week I found a place that had just the 4 horse DC motor for the hydraulics, they wanted $1900 for the motor :eek:

I'm curious about the batteries yours takes, where you found them, whether you got the same type as original, etc - mine don't seem to hold a charge very long, and I'm considering whether to replace them (mine takes 4 6 volt monsters in series for 24 volts) or build a "sidecar" for my 8 kw generator and try to figure out how to convert things from there :rolleyes:

Anyway, any info on your battery deal would be really appreciated... Steve

That price on the motor is similar to something I found when researching the Genie. I found an online ad for a replacement controller box that was over $1300! That, the price of a new one (around $17K) and the used models I saw for sale sealed the deal for me.

As far as batteries go, mine also uses four of the 6V monsters, which all seem to cost over $200 each.

My neighbor was running four 12V batteries he took out of one of his tractor trailers, and they were lasting an entire work day. He put two pairs in series, and wired the two pairs in parallel, for 24V. He had two lifts set up the same way and had a couple of guys using them doing a demo project running at least 8-10 hour workdays. I'm sure the correct batteries would be better, but his setup definitely worked.

I don't know how well it's going to work, but I bought two new 12V deep cycle marine batteries, charged them fully, and then wired them in series for 24V. Now I just need to see what kind of run time I get out of them. If I need more, I can add two more the way my neighbor did, but I'm planning on only using it a few hours at a time as I do the ceiling, and wiring in my barn. I charged them separately, but after running it around a bit yesterday, I plugged in the onboard charger, and let it recharge the batteries while I did some paint scraping on it, and it seemed to work just fine.

I'll report back after I get some run time on it, and see what happens!