Cheap storm shelter?

/ Cheap storm shelter? #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
1500-2000 gallon plastic septic tank (dimensions are pretty big), buried, access hole cut in top with some type metal shop made door that opens in, some type of stairs, pour 4" concrete over the top (say a 10x10 slab) so a tree limb wouldnt puncture it if one fell on top, under $2000

What do you think? Obviously you wont be living in it but should suffice if in path of storm. Ideas? Opinions?

/ Cheap storm shelter? #4  
Plastic septic tanks can be crushed by surrounding soil if not filled with water. I have a smaller one that I use for garden water from the roofs, it has partially crushed!

/ Cheap storm shelter? #5  
Plastic/fiberglass septic tanks are normally designed to be structurally sound when filled. They are very subject to collapse if buried empty. I would suggest looking for a tank that is designed to maintain its integrity when buried empty. There are fiberglass tanks that are designed to do just that.

Normally, pumping a plastic/fiberglass septic tank is a real PITA. Replacement water must be introduced at the same rate as sewage being pumped out to maintain its integrity.

I would suggest a heavy duty plastic/fiberglass tank designed for empty burial OR a precast cement tank.

/ Cheap storm shelter? #6  
You got a deal on a used one?

/ Cheap storm shelter? #7  
I'm going with above ground. After doing all the pros and cons of going in ground, it made more sense for me. If you go into the ground, you have to deal with the ground and water always trying to push it out or flood it. Then there is getting to it during a storm. Every person that I know with a storm shelter in their yard never uses it when a storm is approaching because it's always at night and raining heavily when the tornado warnings go off.

My goal is to build it in my garage where we can quickly and easily get into it. It will double as a safe and storage place for important items. I have to cutout the concrete slab, but after that, it looks pretty basic to build. So far, the hardest part is going to be clearing out the shelves and stuff that's where it will be built.

http://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...709/FEMA_P-320_2014-ConstructionPlans_508.pdf

/ Cheap storm shelter? #9  
I made a storm shelter from a old steel tank that had not been used for toxic chemicals,

actually I cut the steel tank in half and used it for the top of the shelter/cellar, it was a 10 foot tank, and I layed block wall and filled and reinforced it with rebar and concrete and pulled th tank on top of the stem wall and welded it down to metal top plated I had welded to the rebar in the wall,

In the back wall of the tank there is bolted on plate for an emergency escape.

/ Cheap storm shelter? #10  
Storm-Bunker-made-from-fule-tank.jpgIf I was doing it again I would probably just roll the whole tank in the hole and then either fill with some gravel and pour a floor or put in a floor and make lift out sections for storage under the floor,

some thing like the picture,

Attachments

• Storm-Bunker-made-from-fule-tank-stairs.jpg
    Storm-Bunker-made-from-fule-tank-stairs.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 8,037