Cheapie Cab Heater

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Hey Guys. Ive been needing a little heat for my cab this winter but I really didnt want to spend alot of money and time. Im not in my tractor much in the winter other than clearing alittle snow for me and my neighbors. An hour or two at the most after it snows is all I do. But I need just a little heat to chase the chill.
I came up with this. I bought a small camping heater at Dunhams ($25.00) and built a mounting brackett to attach it to the corner of my cab. Time on the brackett was about 1hr including the paint to dry. The clamps are dryer vent clamps with large "keys" to turn the clamp. Works great and cheap too. Even on the lowest setting cab gets really warm.

Attachments

• DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 4,327
  • DSCN0019.jpg
    DSCN0019.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 5,126
   / Cheapie Cab Heater #2  
Those are great little heaters. I have one in all my deerstands one in my utv,tractor and a few to take camping when it gets cold.:thumbsup:

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #3  
Be aware of the CO danger of a propane heater in an enclosed cab.

Bill

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #4  
Be aware of the CO danger of a propane heater in an enclosed cab. GET REAL!!
Our cabs are not air tight !!!!!!!!
I used a Coleman Golf cart type heater for close to 4 yrs. Went through I'm guessing 20 canisters of gas..Been on tractor 10-12 hrs and no health problems.
They do a great job just be careful they do get hot and could burn your hand or arm ..!!

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #5  
Just be sure to crack a window. Lots of people use those types of heaters when ice fishing. Every year we read about someone dying in their ice tent when overcome by the fumes from one of those. ;)

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #6  
etcallhome,

I was being real.:thumbsup: CO is a real danger that sneaks up on you. All I said was "be aware" Some cabs are much tighter than others. I'd hate to hear about someone dead from CO poisoning.

Bill

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #7  
Be aware of the CO danger of a propane heater in an enclosed cab. GET REAL!!
Our cabs are not air tight !!!!!!!!
I used a Coleman Golf cart type heater for close to 4 yrs. Went through I'm guessing 20 canisters of gas..Been on tractor 10-12 hrs and no health problems.
They do a great job just be careful they do get hot and could burn your hand or arm ..!!

You get real. I have seen it happen in boats with just camper canvases. You must still be the guy who thinks smoking does not lead to cancer?:confused2::confused2::confused2:

I am not saying it will happen but I have seen it happen with way less enclosure.

Chris

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #8  
You do not have to be in an air tight enclosure to build up levels of carbon monoxide. As a medic, I have been to several incidents involving CO including one where the person was sitting in the car, door open with legs outside (resting). Because of the snowbanks/no wind, the CO built up and they succumbed.

Putney Vermont on 1/5/11, several students and faculty exposed to CO in the School and were hospitalized. Can't tell me a large public building is air tight....

Ever wonder why people get sleepy on long car trips? Likely from small exhaust leaks into the passenger compartment.

It is a great idea though- the way this heater is set up. I don't have a cab, so I am wondering if the radiant heat might work for me....My feet always freeze. I may just give it a try.

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #9  
No I'm not the one that thinks smoking doesn't cause cancer...
All I'm saying is this !!!!!! With the Original Tractor cab there are enough air leaks plus under the seat all the slots for air to come in.
I don't know about you or the others but while I'm plowing or blowing snow. I'm always opening a door to get on or off the tractor or talking to someone.
Yes these heaters can be dangerous and can make you sick or kill a person. Read that on the box and in the manual....
Some of the homemade cabs may be fitting tighter, rubber seals to keep the air out and what your saying could happen or at least make you sick.
But using it on my tractor for the yrs I did , I never had any problem !!!! Lots of time after the heater was on for 30 min or so I would turn it off or turn my to the lower setting maybe for the rest of time or just leave it off for 15 min and then turn it back on.
In other words using common sense !!!!!!!!!!! Something to many people have forgotten in this country !

/ Cheapie Cab Heater #10  
you should just get an old heater core from a junk yard and install a fan behind it.Much safer:thumbsup: