Chicken prices

/ Chicken prices #71  
Both of our kids went to college at Purdue. So for 9 years I was driving down there at all sorts of odd hours here and there. One foggy night, I was driving past the Tyson chicken plant in Logansport. It was around 2-3a.m. Several dozen semis hauling empty chicken trailers were leaving the plant, heading off into the dark, scary fog.... if only those chickens knew what was coming.

It was the makings of a Steven King novel. :laughing:

/ Chicken prices #72  
And then there's Ricky Nelson..."I like a lot, boy!"

/ Chicken prices #73  
I saw a TV show about a business out east (I think) that you could take your ducks to after hunting and they'd pluck and process them for you. They had a neat roller machine where the operator would hold the duck up and it would pluck them. I gotta look for that clip. Can't remember if it was Larry the Cable Guy only in America or Mike Rowe or some show like that.

This one? .Butte City Outfitters provide fowl plucking service | News | appeal-democrat.com It's an old article dated 2009, they may not still be in business

/ Chicken prices #75  
Both of our kids went to college at Purdue. So for 9 years I was driving down there at all sorts of odd hours here and there. One foggy night, I was driving past the Tyson chicken plant in Logansport. It was around 2-3a.m. Several dozen semis hauling empty chicken trailers were leaving the plant, heading off into the dark, scary fog.... if only those chickens knew what was coming.

Don't ever get caught beside or close behind one of those trailers loaded with chickens. The chickens can 'squirt' several feet. You can smell them 1/2 mile before you catch up to one.

I believe Campbell's got out of the live chicken and turkey business by the early 90's. My employer of 22 years bought one of their plants (Banquet Frozen Dinners) in 1989.

/ Chicken prices #76  

Guy down the road from us raises broilers on contract for somebody. He tells me they send him one tractor trailer load of day old chicks ( he has something like 6 big houses), 6 weeks later, they send 30 tractor trailers to pick up the live birds for the processing plant.

/ Chicken prices #77  
True story. My father was an avid duck hunter. He hated plucking ducks but always did the job. Fortunately, I was quite young and never allowed to assist. One day, he and his hunting buddy got a brilliant idea. Put the ducks( about four at a time) into Mom's Maytag wringer wash machine. Lots of water - a little soap. Away we go ...........

You can only imagine the mess this made. It's the ONLY time I can ever remember Mom getting mad at Dad. Dad and his hunting friend spent the better part of the remainder of the day cleaning and unclogging the Maytag.

I laugh when I think about it now. At the time - I was in the other room and infrequently peaked into the wash room. I knew enough to stay out of the adults way.

I've actually seen them whizbang type plucker machines made out of washing machines, actually. But yeh, that doesn't work to well with ducks. People serious about plucking ducks tend to use wax. You melt the wax in a big pot, dunk the duck in it, and peel the wax off. Too much work for me.

/ Chicken prices #78  
True story. My father was an avid duck hunter. He hated plucking ducks but always did the job. Fortunately, I was quite young and never allowed to assist. One day, he and his hunting buddy got a brilliant idea. Put the ducks( about four at a time) into Mom's Maytag wringer wash machine. Lots of water - a little soap. Away we go ...........

You can only imagine the mess this made. It's the ONLY time I can ever remember Mom getting mad at Dad. Dad and his hunting friend spent the better part of the remainder of the day cleaning and unclogging the Maytag.

I laugh when I think about it now. At the time - I was in the other room and infrequently peaked into the wash room. I knew enough to stay out of the adults way.
Classic!!!

/ Chicken prices #80  
A friend was in the industrial bar code business, process control etc etc. Did lots of business with the cigarette manufacturers.

He got a call to try to apply bar codes to chickens as they were being processed. For whatever reason he asked me to come along.

I've seen some big time industrial facilities but this was wild. Chickens everywhere. Thousands....maybe millions? On overhead conveyors, above you, below you. Hundreds of folks all dressed in white cutting them up by hand. It was amazing but.....we tried ink jets and laser marking but never did figure out how to bar code chicken parts.

Funny, in one of the other posts the comment was made about driving to Purdue and passing Tyson. Those are both big names and i assume competitors in the chicken business.