Chigger Season

/ Chigger Season
This might be the first year since I moved here in 2002 that I've been hit by chiggers. I was tore up by them in the Hill Country, but haven't had anything like that happen here until this past weekend. I've always heard that we didn't have them in East Texas because of all the fire ants, but now I realize that we just didn't have a lot of them most of the time. This year must have been perfect conditions for them to take off!!!

Eddie

Edddie--I've heard the red ant theory before, but like you said with all the rain we had this spring I think that gave us the perfect conditions this year. I'm going to try to find some stuff to spread on the lawn as we have Grandkids coming out for a few days next month. We always keep several cans of Off on hand. I'm just going to be just a little more religious using it. Also going to have to spray the Poison Ivy that's got a good start from all the rain.

Charlie

/ Chigger Season #22  
Arent chiggers noseeums? I only ever see the bites. :confused3:

You're right in that you can't see them. And when you see the bite they are usually still there sucking the juices out of you. You can't really get rid of them by scratching them off. I have found heat to be the best answer. Take as hot a shower as you can stand and then take a blow drier to the affected area for as long as you can stand it.

/ Chigger Season #23  

If on lilly white skin they can be seen..... That is unless you have 63 year old eyes..... Then they are definitely noseeums. :)

/ Chigger Season #25  
Cover yourself shoes-to-waist in sulfur dust. Get an old sock and fill it with powered/pulverized sulfur and then slap the sock all over you. Works for me here in Central Texas.

I tried sulfur and it did not work. I would prefer to use sulfur instead of DEET but it did not work on our chiggers and ticks. :confused3::confused:

Later,
Dan

/ Chigger Season #26  
I always spray my feet, shoes, ankles, and legs with deet when going in the woods during the summer. That always seems to prevent them for me.

What do you guys do to treat them when you do get them? I use a product called Chiggarid which is like nail polish with something added in it to prevent itching. It seems to work pretty good.

If I have not tried every anti chigger itch product on the market, I have come danged close. :( The only products that seem to sorta kinda work are the Benedryl or similar antihistamine GELS or LOTIONS. The later is important since it is easy to cover large area of skin ie, large numbers of chigger bites. :mad: When the chigger bites really used to bother me, I would use these gels AND take a Benedryl pill or two to help the itch. The problem was that pills would knock me out and while the pill did help minimize itching it was not 100%. The best solution to the itching I found was to ITCH them danged things! :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: This is kind gross but once the bites started to ooze a white fluid the itching would stop soon after. You only get the white ooze if you itch. :shocked:

It is an old wife's tale that the chigger burrows in the skin, and if you cover the bite up with nail polish, it kills the chigger. The chigger has already bit you and is long gone by the time the red spot shows up... I seem to get the red spots 12-24 hours after being bit.

Later,
Dan

/ Chigger Season #27  

Noseums are flying biting flies. Horrible. Often found near mangroves. Tear you up they will. Then there are some biting gnats that are down in the sand hills of GA and NC. I assume SC has them as well but I have not seen them in FLA. Go figure.

You can see chiggers but they are very, very small and you need to wear very light colored clothes to see them.

Later,
Dan

/ Chigger Season #28  
Edddie--I've heard the red ant theory before, but like you said with all the rain we had this spring I think that gave us the perfect conditions this year....

Charlie

Fire ants made it to our area of NC years ago and I hoped they would take out the ticks and chiggers but that has not happened. :( My first visit by chiggers was in FLA but it only happened once and no ticks every bit me in FLA which is amazing given all of the time I spent in the woods in FLA. The only thing we could figure was that the fire ants were taking care of the ticks and chiggers. It just is not happening on my place. So far chiggers and ticks are winning over Fire Ants at our place. :mad:

Later,
Dan

/ Chigger Season #29  
Got noseeums up here but only for short season, pesky but not nearly as bad as those chigger dudes.

/ Chigger Season #30  
Here's an interesting read to educate oneself about Chiggers.

Chiggers: Bites Treatment and Chigger Bite Pictures

Dismisses the nail polish theory. Also states the repellents such as OFF are effective in preventing the bites. As I said earlier, I diligently use OFF. I can't remember the last time I had a Chigger bite.