Chipper Chipper Adjustment

/ Chipper Adjustment #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I have a Farm Pro wood chipper that I bought from TSC. Looks like a Jimna or any of the other imports (think they all come from the same manufacturer). Recently I noticed the flywheel shaft is out of alignment with the drive shaft. Looks like the flywheel shaft has moved causing the flywheel to rub on the housing (direction of movement is along the flywheel axis). Does anyone know how to adjust this flywheel shaft? Thanks in advance.
Kevin

/ Chipper Adjustment
Here are 2 pictures. The upper flywheel looks like it has moved forward about 1/4". This is causing mounting bolts to rub on frame. If I loosen pillow blocks will the shaft move back and forth?
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 219
   / Chipper Adjustment #5  
Dear KevinMcD
As you have the straight edge on the pulleys it is in the correct position for checking aligment.Your upper and lower shaft may not be parallel to each other, or the upper or lower pulley have moved on the shaft. First step get the belts off. Second loosen the pulleys and check the taper lock cams.Third there should be set screws on the pillow lock bearings, check for tight/ loose. It should show its hand as to what is wrong.
In my 5" chipper / shredder project I completly removed and re installed the pto drive,
it was no problem. What was not shown was I have a belt tensioner that I back off when I store the machine so I do not stretch my belt during storage, 15 minutes and I have full aligment. Yours is different. But the same game.
Craig Clayton

/ Chipper Adjustment
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the upper shaft has moved because the heads of the bolts on the upper pulley are rubbing on the pillow block. Where are the set screws? Are they on the bearing like the ones on the feed roller? Thanks again.
Kevin

/ Chipper Adjustment
Does anyone know how to get the pulley off of the top shaft? Turns out the bearing in the pillow block nearest the pulley cracked. I don't know if this caused the shaft to move out of alignment. I also can't get the shaft to move at all to re-align, once I change the bearing (I hope). I've lossened the set screws on both bearings. It will rotate, but not move back and forth. Any tricks? Any help would be appreciated. Only have a about a dozen hours on the thing and problems already. Thanks in advance.
Kevin

/ Chipper Adjustment #8  
Kevin, remove the two/ three bolts in the sheave hub and reinsert two into threaded holes in the flange and tightening the bolts should push the sheave off the taper. Quite often the cast iron inner hubs crack along the keyway. If the shaft has moved in the bearings then more than likely the set screws have galled the shaft and you will have to beat the shaft out of the bearing. We always drill into the shaft to set the setscrew into a dimple to help prevent the set screw from galling the shaft.

/ Chipper Adjustment
ok, thanks. Looks like there is an inner flange. Am I "pushing" that flange back on the shaft or am I "pulling" the pulley off of the flange and shaft?
Kevin