Chipper clogged by pine needles

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
So because of that big freezing rain event last winter, we lost many pine's branches that I had to chip this weekend. The first hour went fine, then the chute clogged with pine needles, like real hard packed, bogging the tractor. After unclogging the chute, I went at it again but that only lasted a few minutes before it was clogged again :-( So using diesel, I cleaned the inside of the chute that was all gummed up and I was able to finish the job (about half an hour). Now my question is, what can I do (beside not chipping fresh pine branches) to prevent this from happening? Would waxing the inside of the chute help and if yes, what can of wax should I use? Chipper is a Woodland Mills WC68.

Thanks.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #2  
after many years of chipping, we learn there are somethings that maybe shouldn't go through our machines.
one category of these are things that smear, spread, stick and otherwise and get stuck in the crevices that become near impossible to clean.
Sticky / sappy pine falls into this category.
This is one of those things that goes through a chipper better dry than sappy.

Wax etc... is not going to fix your crevice rough edges issue.

Maybe try smoothing out crevices by using tape?

nothing ever worked for me other than run small batches and clean afterwards like a hot water power wash.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #3  
I wonder if that was the reason the tree removal company chose to do my 1800 evergreens when it was so cold....hmmm.:unsure: I never thought of the gumming up problem.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #4  
Chipping fresh white pine in a large tow behind 18in in feed chipper can clog it too. What I did was every so often throw a big limb in every few smaller ones. Are you just chipping small branches?

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #5  
Green pine branches = lots of pine sap. Either of these two will solve your problem.

Larger chipper with bigger discharge chute and higher air flow.

Let the branches dry for a year - then chip.

I had the exact same problem when I had my Ford 1700 and a Wallenstein BX42S.

I thin my pine stands. Every other year or so. 800 to 1200 small pines get chipped. I would pile the pines and let them dry out for a year. This solved the plugging problems.

I've gone to a Kubota M6040 and a Wallenstein BX62S. Now I chip the same time as I thin.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #6  
One word - SLOW DOWN the infeed. If you make more chips then you expel you are SOL. Keep an eye on what's coming out the chute. If volume drops then you are feeding too fast.

Keep your knives sharp.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #7  
We used to add small water in the blower when blowing haylage to reduce gumminess no clue if that would help for wood chips. Blower had a fitting we could attach hose to.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #8  
We used to add small water in the blower when blowing haylage to reduce gumminess no clue if that would help for wood chips. Blower had a fitting we could attach hose to.
Water doesn't wash pine tar off easily. Ask me how I know. :)

You need something like a turpentine injection system to keep things from getting all gummy... lol

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #9  
If I have to chip a lot of pine, I wait until I can mix it with some hardwood. Running straight pine for hours is asking for trouble. I can run a 50% mix for hours and have no issues.

/ Chipper clogged by pine needles #10  
Even chipping wet doug fir with lots of needles I have not had a problem with clogging or pitch build up. Maybe some pines have more pitch?

The only times I have had the chute clog was when the knives were dull. They do not need to be dull by much, so I try to change them early. 20 hours seems to work for my chipping and chipper (Woodmaxx 8H)