Chipper / shredder

/ Chipper / shredder #1  

MoArk Willy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320
I'm looking for a mid-sized chipper shredder to keep my property maintained.
The chip / mulch are a side benefit.
I don't need anything larger than 3-5 inch because anything over that will be cut into firewood lengths.
I just want to get rid of brush, twigs, small limbs etc.
I'd like to keep the cost around $1000 if possible.
I've thought about a 3 point for my Kubota but that may be overkill for my needs.
Any suggestions or tales of experience will be welcomed.

Thanks.

/ Chipper / shredder #2  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I originally had a Wallenstein BX42S. Now I have a Wally BX62S. Both are superior machines. I just checked the current prices. Lordy - prices have gone out of sight.

You will have to find a real good deal to get a unit under $1000. You might have better luck with a stand alone unit as you suggest.

Rather than chipping/shredding - you might consider burning.

/ Chipper / shredder #3  

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
The larger diameter throat isn't just about stem diameter. It lets you chip branches and brush with less trimming.

But yea, under $1k is going to be tough.

The self powered home store chippers are pretty much useless if you're on a rural parcel.

/ Chipper / shredder #4  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
I had a Troy Bilt Tomahawk for 10 years and then a 3ph MacKissic TPH-122 for 16 years. My source for leaves dried up and needed a self feeder. Now have a WM WC46.

The first 2 are near $2,000 The WC46 WAS $2,600. The Tomahawk was a beast to maintain. The Mac was easy. Have not turned the blades on the WC46 yet in its 2nd season.

Don't think you'll find one much worth keeping at $1,000. Likely won't be easy to maintain. Have to find a used Mac. Sold mine for about $300 to a guy with a JD 3 series.

/ Chipper / shredder #5  

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I don't need anything larger than 3-5 inch because anything over that will be cut into firewood lengths.
I've thought about a 3 point for my Kubota but that may be overkill for my needs.

Thanks.
$1000 is leaf shredder territory. 3-5 inch branches are going to require something with more heft. This is what I have. I highly recommend it. I paid $1800 or so. I think they’re a little higher now.

777C8D6A-AE91-4131-8BEB-06D5ECB363DC.jpeg

/ Chipper / shredder #6  

tom3

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD l130 Sears GT5000
I see these homeowner units come up for sale used on local lists quite often. Usually in very good condition too. Find a 3" unit, about the max usually, for under $500 or so.

/ Chipper / shredder #7  

sammyd

Bronze Member
With the spread of online auctions around my area there are a lot of cheaper 3pt chippers available. Can usually get them for under 1000 and often under 700 if you're lucky. I picked one up a few years ago and its held up well doing occasional tree cleanup. The capacity is around 3 inches and that's about all it will take before the shear pin breaks.

/ Chipper / shredder #8  

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB

Thanks.
$1,000? Sasquatch