Chippers Left Outside

/ Chippers Left Outside #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
I have a PTO chipper that's too big for my storage. Any issues leaving a PTO chipper outside? Anything I should be aware of. I really don't have any options.

/ Chippers Left Outside #2  
Well,you can get a tarp and cover it and use binge straps to keep the tarp secure!
I have a PTO chipper that's too big for my storage. Any issues leaving a PTO chipper outside? Anything I should be aware of. I really don't have any options.

/ Chippers Left Outside #3  
and when you pull the tarp off, always be aware of little nasty stinging dudes who might be constructing their single unit, multi family home under the tarp!

/ Chippers Left Outside #4  
Correct!!
and when you pull the tarp off, always be aware of little nasty stinging dudes who might be constructing their single unit, multi family home under the tarp!

/ Chippers Left Outside #5  
Give it a good spray with Fluid Film or similar, grease anything greasable, put it up on a pallett to allow air circulation and cover it with a tarp..........Mike

/ Chippers Left Outside #6  
Put on pallet etc. something in line of WD40 good spray down,trap it but let some air circulate.

/ Chippers Left Outside #7  
002.JPG
As others have noted........it is sitting up on the metal skid that it was shipped (IIRC), as well as some concrete blocks. The top is first covered with some old feed bags to slow the wear (sharp edges) on the tarp............and "Yep" the wasps and frogs like to find a home inside.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 2258.JPG
    2258.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
   / Chippers Left Outside #8  
View attachment 668419
As others have noted........it is sitting up on the metal skid that it was shipped (IIRC), as well as some concrete blocks. The top is first covered with some old feed bags to slow the wear (sharp edges) on the tarp............and "Yep" the wasps and frogs like to find a home inside.

Cheers,
Mike

You will find that your metal skids will firm surface rust where they make contact with any surface including the wood. You will not eliminate that unfortunately. You can reduce it by removing some planks. A good treatment of oil and keeping on top of rust with either a wire brush or a brush and rust convertor and paint are a must even more so in a humid climate.
If you removed the chute, would you be able to rearrange the inside of your canvas storage to have it inside when it is not in heavy usage? Then use outside storage and tarps during regular usage periods?

/ Chippers Left Outside #9  
My Wallenstein chipper sits in one bay of my five bay carport. However - I LIBERALLY cover/coat each of the four cutting blades with grease. Next year - no rust on any of the blades.

/ Chippers Left Outside
any recommendations to stop pests? what type of grease would you use. think fluid film would work?