Chopping wood help please.....

/ Chopping wood help please.....
Thanks guys for all the insight. For sections of the tree that Y in shape how do you cut them? See attached.

IMG_0274.jpg

Last edited:
   / Chopping wood help please..... #22  
I usually cut the extending pieces off so they’re straight. That appears to be what you have done. That piece isn’t very big or nasty so I’d put it through the splitter as is. Sometimes I cut them in half before splitting. I assume you’re not using a maul. If that was the case I’d leave that piece in the woods. IMG_1120.JPGIMG_1122.JPG

/ Chopping wood help please..... #23  
I just split odd shaped stuff like everything else & those go toward top of pile since they screw up stacks.

/ Chopping wood help please..... #24  
Thanks guys for all the insight. For sections of the tree that Y in shape how do you cut them? See attached.

I try to cut perpendicular to log, and avoid cutting at an angle. Depending on how you split that you may end up with one piece 22" long and another 12". Or you end up trying to make the wood splitter push/split against an angled surface which can get wacky.

At a "Y"/crotch, I try to cut each leg same length and perpendicular so I don't end up with 12" & 22" pieces coming out of the splitter. But how easy this is depends on which end of the tree you started on. If from the branch end you end up like in your picture. If from trunk end you can have even legs.

/ Chopping wood help please..... #25  
Yup, hydraulic splitter will make short work of those. Knots and joints can be a bit stringy and may need more than one go to fully separate.

/ Chopping wood help please..... #26  
I assume you’re not using a maul. If that was the case I’d leave that piece in the woods.

Back when I did use a maul (and thankfully those days are long past), I'd cut it down with the saw to something that would fit in the stove/etc, and call it an "all nighter"