Christmas present - First Aid Kit

/ Christmas present - First Aid Kit #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
We've discussed having a fire extinguisher on our tractor, in our 'shop' and around the house (kitchen, fireplace, etc...) but I'm wondering about First Aid Kits.

Good ones. The type of kits sold by "St. John Ambulance" or the Red Cross. I've got a few 'ready use' kits around the property, one in the ute and I've even put a few 'essentials' in the "document holder" canister thingy that's on the ROPS. The Good One (with a first aid manual) is in the house AND is prominently displayed (ie: not stored in a cupboard where no one can see it).

I've even bought kits for friends when I've noticed that there isn't one in their workshop.

What say you?

/ Christmas present - First Aid Kit #2  
Have one hanging by the fire extinguisher in barn. Has extensive bandages and compression material in it. Is a great idea.

/ Christmas present - First Aid Kit
   / Christmas present - First Aid Kit #6  
It's not enough to buy a FAK. You need to know how to use it and teach those around you how to administer First Aid. You also need to make a commitment to keep it updated. Much of the contents in those kits have expiration dates. I have some basic FA articles in the barn and shop--Band-Aids, New Skin, Neosporin, tweezers and gauze pads. However; more importantly, is knowing when to head to the house or ER for assistance.

Forgot to add: Keep your Tetanus shots current. :2cents:

/ Christmas present - First Aid Kit #7  
Have one in work shop downstairs also in the shed just never know the older one gets.

/ Christmas present - First Aid Kit #8  
It's not enough to buy a FAK. You need to know how to use it and teach those around you how to administer First Aid. You also need to make a commitment to keep it updated. Much of the contents in those kits have expiration dates. I have some basic FA articles in the barn and shop--Band-Aids, New Skin, Neosporin, tweezers and gauze pads. However; more importantly, is knowing when to head to the house or ER for assistance.

Forgot to add: Keep your Tetanus shots current. :2cents:

Fully agree. After 20 years as a medic, without the skills to use the equipment, the best first aid kit/trauma bag in the world will do you no good. Many places will offer (prior to COVID 2020) free CERT classes. It is a good 40 hour class to help those without basic first aid/emergency response skills to gain the basic training and knowledge.

/ Christmas present - First Aid Kit #9  
Mostly just a waste of money. Lots around for promotional stuff and corporate X-Mas gifts. Not much in them you ever use. Most people need small bandages and sterile cream. You want to make me a good gift. Buy be a few boxes of banages, sticky tape, gauze and sterile stuff. I actually like the cloth bandage stuff you can cut to size. You can keep the rest that comes in most kits. Bad accident and any reasonably clean cloth will work until medical help gets there.

Last edited:
   / Christmas present - First Aid Kit #10  
Have ziplock freezer bag of some bandaids, alcohol pads, betadine pads in the tractor tool box. More supplies in shop, truck and at home.