CJ7 rear ended

/ CJ7 rear ended #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
We got some snow in Virginia this week - that's always hard, because significant part of the population does not know how to drive in snow - and my jeep (86) got rear ended. This nimrod in front of me stopped for absolutely no reason and since I kept extended distance, I was able to stop too - but the kid behind me did not.
As a result the left rail of the frame is bend above the rear axle and there is some damage to the body, but since it was rusted and patched I am ok with that part to replace - it is actually overdue.
The Jeep high seat took the impact and probably saved my back, because it broke in the place where the hinge would be - CJs had fixed back seats - and leaned back.
Insurance company came to check it out yesterday and it seems like it is gonna be total loss. Wife was hinting on letting it go, but I would part easier with my right hand:) I am trying to figure out my options:

- buy new frame, they are few manufacturers and they run about $2k
- fix the bend on this frame (the rear left wheel now sits about 2" forward)
- replace the bend part of the frame with some tubing welded in place
- build a new frame

I believe once I have the frame figured out/fixed, the rest will fall in place, CJs are very much like the original jeep, anything can be replaced and/or rebuild.

Advice, suggestions, opinions? I need as much as possible before I start taking it apart.

Thank in advance

Prokop

/ CJ7 rear ended #2  
It sounds like this is a vehicle which you wish to keep for some time. If that is the case put a new frame under it or find a similar unit and keep the bent one for parts.:D

/ CJ7 rear ended #3  
Good Mornin Prokop,
If it makes you feel any better, I owned a 78 CJ-5. I bought it brand new, and I would give anything to have it back ! :(

Fix it if you can ! :)

/ CJ7 rear ended #4  
Look on Jeepsunlimited.com or craigslist for a used frame in good shape. Can probably get one for $300 to $500.....good luck

/ CJ7 rear ended #5  
Based on growing up around Jeeps, building my own etc...

Get another one. Buy this one from the insurance as a parts vehicle.

If you bent the frame, and broke the seat, it is very possible that the springs, shocks, shackles, rear end, driveline were impacted, at least. CJ7's have a pretty nice boxed frame; if it is bent, a lot of other stuff is tweaked too.

/ CJ7 rear ended #7  
You should find a new frame and rebuild. Once in an accident like yours even the best frame shop cannot get it back to perfect in my opinion. Glad no one was hurt.

/ CJ7 rear ended #8  
Glad your okay...whew.
Seem you have knowledge to make repairs,and you really don't mind the down time for repair on CJ,heck why not get this project whirl and if you find more damage etc. you can also part the jeep out etc.

/ CJ7 rear ended #9  
Seem you have knowledge to make repairs,and you really don't mind the down time for repair on CJ,heck why not get this project whirl and if you find more damage etc.

Making it a project could end up with a very nice vehicle.:D

/ CJ7 rear ended #10  
Egon Making it a project could end up with a very nice vehicle.:D

Or one heck of great doddlebug. :)