CK3510SE HST shifting issue

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #11  
I never use the clutch just press on the brake so the tractor doesn't move and if it doesn't shift turn the steering wheel back and forth a bit and it that doesn't work move the tractor a few inches. Some one here years ago mentioned moving the steering wheel so before I poo pooed I tried it out and it actually works quite often. I so seldom use anything but M It's not a big deal being stiff to shift for me. BTW my tractor is always in 4wd that may have an effect ?

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #12  
MY hst is practically impossible to change ranges if in 4x4, if i throttle down and lift the front wheels off the ground it will shift easy, if in 2 wheel drive it generally will go into low easy and back to m, by pedal back and forth , over 500 hrs and still the same as new,

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #13  
I swear individual machines develop there own personalities, and that some are downright moody.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #14  
…. BTW my tractor is always in 4wd ….
Not a good idea. If the tires are ALWAYS on a slippery surface, sure. But if not, you’re putting extra strain on all the mechanical contact areas. For the few seconds it takes to switch into 4 by… But it’s your tractor not mine. 😉

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #15  
Robin , I've not had my tractors out of 4wd except for 2 or 3 times they drove on pavement. Driving on steep hills in 2 wheel drive is foolish and dangerous. I put 6,000 hrs. on my first tractor 3,000 on the sec. and 700 on my present one. Nothing has ever failed because of it.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #16  
Then you shouldn’t say “always”! Someone who doesn’t have similar ground and/or new to tractors might assume it’s always fine…

Last edited:
   / CK3510SE HST shifting issue #17  
... BTW my tractor is always in 4wd ...
Same here. This tractor works on 10 percent grade, and has seen more differential lock than 2wd.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #18  
DIff lock is just before bucketing back out of the mud hole or backing/sliding down slope that is too wet climb. Love mud season every spring. Must do most things with the ATV because the tractors sink....

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #19  
Same here. This tractor works on 10 percent grade, and has seen more differential lock than 2wd.

Sure you can. But your tractor still doesn't have a center differential.

All you prove by running a part time 4WD in 4WD all the time is that either the manufacturer set it up with close to zero F/R overrun, or else you got lucky and it has been slipping enough traction that nothing in the driveline has broken yet.

And maybe it never will break. That still doesn't make it the right way to use one. I can use my Dad's micrometers as "C" clamps, and the pipe wrench as a hammer all year long and they won't break either.

I don't care one bit how you run your machine. But by talking like running in 4wd all the time is OK, you're just setting up a newbie for an expensive failure.... and I don't think that's what anyone wants to do.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / CK3510SE HST shifting issue #20  
... But by talking like running in 4wd all the time is OK ...
From the (2021) CK10 owner's manual, page 6-14:

Use the 4WD to increase traction
when driving on a slope with the
loaded bucket and rear ballast installed.

Whether it's grapple or stump bucket or forks or bucket on the FEL and 650lbs on the 3pt ballast while clearing property, this pretty much describes my use 100% of the time.

You have vastly more seat time than I, and this is clearly important. With the above specific conditions, do you still strongly disagree with the manufacturer for how some of us deploy 4WD?