CK3510SE HST shifting issue

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #21  
You have vastly more seat time than I, and this is clearly important. With the above specific conditions, do you still strongly disagree with the manufacturer for how some of us deploy 4WD?
Don't be ridiculous. Anyone can take a special condition and argue it. Doing that doesn't make an exception into the rule.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #22  
You guys are missing the point. It’s the “always” and the “all the time”. Not just if it’s a slope, or muddy, or snow, or ice, or…. There’s a reason the tractor comes with an in or out switch/lever 😉

Last edited:
   / CK3510SE HST shifting issue #23  
In 31 yrs. of owning a 4wd tractor logging thousands of hrs. I doubt if I've ever had them out of 4wd more them 10 or 15 mins. altogether and that's when I drove on blacktop a short distance a couple times. No point in owning a 4wd if your scared to use it .

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #24  
So it isn’t Always…..exactly my point 😉 C ya.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #25  
Regardless of experience, surely we can all agree that it's worth distinguishing between "always"/"all the time" and "nearly always"/"almost all the time"!

For many conditions that CUT owners face, it may be a distinction without a practical difference. But the times that it matters, it can really matter. Premature tire wear and the risk of drive-train damage while on dry pavement are the obvious examples. But even on hard-packed crusher-run (and I'm on it alot), it matters making short-radius turns while continuously in 4wd. It's also a good way to tear up grass when maneuvering on turf and I forget I'm in 4wd. :oops:

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #26  
My tractor has very few hours, less than 20. The HST is hard to put into L-M-H range without feathering the forward/reverse pedals.
if you don't "feather" the pedals, a grinding noise emanates.
Is this to be expected until broken in?

Doing this is expected forever since the range selector gears are not synchronized.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #27  
My NS5310 HST has 35 hours on it and getting it from neutral into mid-range is a bear. I can get into Low or High with no issue. And then sometimes, it doesn't want to stay in neutral and the slightest bump will put it into gear. This is especially annoying if I'm working the wood chipper on the PTO and the safety shutoff kills the engine because the shifter fell out of neutral.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #28  
I bought my NX4510HST in 2016. I have almost always had this issue. Just tap the pedal easily and it will go right in.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #29  
My NS5310 HST has 35 hours on it and getting it from neutral into mid-range is a bear. I can get into Low or High with no issue. And then sometimes, it doesn't want to stay in neutral and the slightest bump will put it into gear. This is especially annoying if I'm working the wood chipper on the PTO and the safety shutoff kills the engine because the shifter fell out of neutral.

My tractor requires the shift lever to be "rattled" slightly back and forth once a gear is selected or it pops out of L or M gear (the shift lever always travels forward, so it never pops out H). I suspect this problem is either because the gears themselves are not undercut enough to readily slide in, or more likely, some asshat tried forcing the shift lever into gear and bent the shift fork during the first 7.7 hours on the machine before I took possession of it.

On my YouTube channel, another NX owner reported to me that he has the very same shifting problem.

Anyway, because the range gears are not synchronized (the gears do not have blocking rings that speed up the gear being shifted to the same rpm of the spinning input shaft) you will find yourself tapping the throttle, or if an HST, tapping one or both of the forward and reverse pedals to help the shift. Back in the day, we used to call the technique double clutching. Here is a neat animation showing how these things work.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #30  
I bought a new DK5310SE back in April. First HST I’ve ever owned. I can tell you before I bought I checked out a similar Kubota on the dealer lot and was shocked how difficult it was to get the lever into range. The Kioti is similarly difficult. For awhile I was trying to use the Fwd/Rev pedals. Not sure that actually did anything as it wasn’t engaged. Now I just turn the steering wheel while hand on lever and that slight shift in position is enough for it to drop right into range.