Clamp on pallet forks

/ Clamp on pallet forks #21  
This is what I made for brush moving/hauling....Works well for small logs too....

dsc02207-jpg.707275
DL, is that square tubing? What size and wall thickness?

/ Clamp on pallet forks #22  
What is the consensus on those? I just need something to move brush from point a to point b, less than bucket load limitation by far. Or should i still get the qa version?

https://www.palletforks.com/skid-steers/pallet-forks-and-accessories/pallet-fork-attachment-with-pallet-fork-blades-–-skid-steer-quick-tach/133210.html

Would it fit my l2501 without any mod?

thanks.
Get a grapple bucket.

/ Clamp on pallet forks #23  
Buy once, cry once. I have clamp ons and I wish I'd have just bought regular forks. Unless you just can't afford the qa forks, get a decent set and enjoy having the right tool for the job forever.

/ Clamp on pallet forks #25  
I got the clamp-on to use for the rare occasions I need forks. They work great and store away in minimal space.

I have lifted several #3,000 pallets of blocks without a problem.

/ Clamp on pallet forks #26  
You will want 42" long 1500-2000 pound forks if you are buying new
I got those when I bought my tractor. I later bought some 36" ones because I built firewood dry/store racks that I move to the porch landing for use. The racks are only 38" deep so the 42s passed through. Wouldn't be a problem except I want the rack right up against the door. The 42s are better for log carrying though.

Get a grapple bucket.
BIG BUCKS, especially if you need to get hydraulic power to the front either with a diverter kit or a 3rd function.

I wouldn't think it takes more time to swap a bucket for SSQA forks than it takes to mount the clamp on forks. Plus you don't need to carry the weight of the forks from storage to tractor and back. Personally, for the reasons stated by some prior respondents, I wouldn't get clamp ons unless I just couldn't afford SSQA or I had a pin on bucket.

Some things I do with my SSQA forks that I would not do with clamp ons.
  • Dig rocks; bent bucket anyone?
  • Carry well over 1,000 # of logs.
  • Carry the wood racks, they hold a run. Again, bent bucket anyone? Plus with the weight WAY out there, my tractor probably couldn't lift them when full. Spec'ed at 1,650# to full height at the pins.
  • I made a "poor man's logging winch". Yeah slow. Yeah more work with pulling the cable out multiple times. But a lot cheaper than a PTO forestry winch and I don't cut that much wood annually. 5,000# UTV winch I mounted on a metal plate, U shaped brackets underneath to hold it down on the forks. Slide the whole thing to the back of the forks and attach the metal plate to the tractor frame so there is no pressure on the loader or fork frame. Attach wires to the battery. Couldn't do anything like that with the bucket in the way.

/ Clamp on pallet forks #27  
I got the clamp-ons and the cross bar to help stop twisting of the forks for my L3800. I also now have a warped bucket. Seems all the weight is placed on the bucket at the clamp point which is very far forward from bucket pivot point. As for moving brush or tree limbs, stuff like that, when dumping, the forks (even with the cross bar) would slide sideways out of alignment no matter how much torque I used. I changed the bucket to QA and now have QA forks. Much better for me.
The inherent issue with clamp on forks on a material bucket is if you overload them, you put a smile in the lower sheet and it's very hard to remove. It can be done with the correct tools but not a backyard wrench task. Most tractors today are sold with light duty material buckets. You usually have to specify an excavation bucket to get one. All I have and no I don't use clamp on forks either.

/ Clamp on pallet forks #28  
The problem I found with clamp-ons is if you want to load some-thing into the bucket, 48" log, lumber etc, it will stop at the clamps or if it goes over the clamps it jams up against the clamps on the inside. I made these strap-on forks.

Attachments

• 20200404_162308.jpg
    20200404_162308.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 95
   / Clamp on pallet forks #29  
What is the consensus on those? I just need something to move brush from point a to point b, less than bucket load limitation by far. Or should i still get the qa version?

https://www.palletforks.com/skid-steers/pallet-forks-and-accessories/pallet-fork-attachment-with-pallet-fork-blades-–-skid-steer-quick-tach/133210.html

Would it fit my l2501 without any mod?

thanks.
I bought pallet forks originally as well and they worked pretty well for some lighter loads. I have a 100Gal tank that I carry in my truck to get diesel and found that the forks would bend my bucket a bit with that kind of load approx. 1000lb of load plus they bounced a lot. I had to use a 3/8 plate steel to keep them from bending the bucket with that kind of load though and I suggest the same thing. I recently bought an EA pallet forks capable of 4400 lbs which is more than my loader can lift (~3400lbs) and am very pleased with them even though they cost me severely. If your in the northeast Texas area I would sell the clamp-on bucket forks for $100. They are Titan brand and yes they are used and I bought the 2Klb capable ones so they are heavy duty.

/ Clamp on pallet forks #30  
I have the 1500lb clamp on forks from Titan and I like them. It's true you'll use them for a LOT more than brush - at least I do - and also true that they can distort the bottom of a loader bucket if used improperly. Improper use is just using the clamps to hold the bottom of the bucket. They have vertical members that will hold either a wooden upright, or some 2x3 steel box tube, which is to be chained around the bucket for additional stability. After noticing some bucket distortion, I began using the uprights and saw a marked improvement in the solidity of the forks - go figure!

For the price - think I paid about $145 - you can't go wrong, unless you want to heft heavy loads. Then get a set of proper forks. My loader will only lift about 500lb, so the loads I can handle at any rate are vastly under the capacity of these forks.