Class project - adapter for small motor

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
OK, this is really off topic. I need to adapt 20 plastic propellers to fit a small electric motor shaft. The hole in the propeller is about 6 mm and the motor shaft is about 2mm.

This is for a 4th grade class studying electricity, motors, etc. The propeller fit doesn't have to be dead accurate, but I don't want to embarrass myself, either.

I'd rather not wrap tape around the shaft, so I'm looking for other creative ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 192
   / Class project - adapter for small motor #3  
I might need glasses,but it looks like blade will hit motor if fasten??..also motor shaft smaller than blade housing,if so than adapater shall be needed.

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #4  
OK, this is really off topic. I need to adapt 20 plastic propellers to fit a small electric motor shaft. The hole in the propeller is about 6 mm and the motor shaft is about 2mm.

This is for a 4th grade class studying electricity, motors, etc. The propeller fit doesn't have to be dead accurate, but I don't want to embarrass myself, either.

I'd rather not wrap tape around the shaft, so I'm looking for other creative ideas.

Thanks in advance.

How about using a prop adapter:
Prop Adapter

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #5  
Fill the propeller hole with epoxy (PC7?), then drill after it sets up...

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #6  
I second forgeblast's suggestion, quick and easy. You might also consider a 2-part quick-setting epoxy, but don't let it run into the motor.

- Doug

Edit addition: Hah! I see Teg beat me to it with a post while I was typing

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #7  
Never tried to find rubber tubing this size but someone may make it. 5/64 ID with 15/64 OD, glue onto motor shaft and glue propeller on tubing. Have seen 1/8 ID at automotive supply. Don't know if they have smaller or not.

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #8  
Just a thought that popped into my head... but what about using the bullet from a .22 hallow point. I think the outside diameter and inside diameter should be pretty close to your needs. You may have to drill out the center of the bullet all the way through, but the lead should be nice and malliable for the electric motor shaft... ... and the cool copper point would look pretty spiffy on the front of the propeller.

Now of coarse disassemble the cartridge, and use the bullet only (copper/lead part).

Let us know what you use ...

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #9  
not sure if i would use the bullet idea. I can hear it now. we used bullets in class today!!, plus the lead issue, osha would have a field day.

/ Class project - adapter for small motor #10  
For an economy solution, as most class rooms need, make bushings by boring a 2mm hole in a 6mm (1/4") wooden dowel and cut to length with a coping saw. 4th graders are old enough to learn coping saw techniques.

If the fit is a little loose a dab of epoxy could be used or a few drops of water may swell the wood enough to temporarily tighten the fit. Or use water on some and epoxy on some. I can see all sorts of things 4th graders can learn from this.