clean air filter

/ clean air filter #11  
jaydee, Thanks for the informative link! I just read it and now have an answer to whether air filters should be washed or not - Definitely not - is my new knowledge! Thanks for that link.

/ clean air filter
jaydee, thanks for the link. I was under the impression that these filters were made to be cleaned. After reading that article, now I'm not. I guess it's back to Kubota for another $75 filter. lol

/ clean air filter #13  
jaydee, Thanks for the informative link! I just read it and now have an answer to whether air filters should be washed or not - Definitely not - is my new knowledge! Thanks for that link.
Washing a paper air filter - definitely not. Otherwise, the link is targeted to excessively sell air filters to people who they conveniently assume cannot focus on the variables and act in a manner benign to the function of the filter and its conditional safe renewal.

/ clean air filter #14  
It's best if you blow across the media to get the bulk of the debris. Should you feel you need to blow it from inside out, use a low pressure. Ruptured media doesn't help things. When it gets real emission stained, turns grey- best to replace. If the rubber that seals around the inlet slips on easy and doesn't seal well- best to replace.

/ clean air filter #16  
I put a new air filter in after the winter. During the summer, if it’s just dusty, I’ll just blow the dust out with the air compressor.

/ clean air filter #17  
A high volume low pressure air nozzle makes it easier to blow the filters out from inside out. I have 2 stage filters in my machines, I never try to blow out the internal element, only replace at the service imtervals.

Some filters are made to be cleaned/washed/oiled etc. Paper filters usually aren't. My Kubota air filters aren't washable and K recommends NOT doing it.

/ clean air filter #18  
It's best if you blow across the media to get the bulk of the debris. [[ Should you feel you need to blow it from inside out, use a low pressure. ]] Ruptured media doesn't help things. When it gets real emission stained, turns grey- best to replace. If the rubber that seals around the inlet slips on easy and doesn't seal well- best to replace.
[[ I pose using an electric blower inside to continuously backflush while tapping on the outside of the filter element. ]] Using a hair dryer from the inside first to thoroughly remove dampness immediately beforehand should make it easier to dislodge the dirt when you go to the blower and tapping.

Considering the power unit type and usage should also be factored into maintenance, and surely replacement of the filter. Normally aspirated diesels breathe in direct proportion to their rpm, with negligible relation to the load. -- Turbo diesels breathe in proportion to rpm, AND, very much, load. So, if youre easing around running mid rpm mostly doing light work on either tractor you are using your filter life efficiently, although a little more heavily with the turbo because injector pump response of adding fuel to hold rpm under changes in load results in deeper breathing as the turbo spins up. If you need to, or just customarily do run full PTO rpm you load up the filter faster. An anticipated day of sustained hard work is the most excellent excuse to put in a new filter. Whichever, your tractor is going to be happier and safer. If its a turbo, boosting itself to ~ 1.5 x displacement you really need free breathing!

/ clean air filter
Why is the last place we look for info, the owners manual. lol Looked it up and the manual says clean the air filter every 100 hours. So I keep looking and it tells you how to clean them. Also says to replace every year. You guys still give just as good advise as the owners manual. Thanks again.
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 6.14.38 PM.png

/ clean air filter #20  
I just replace mine every 100 hours. The less you mess with the filter the better, and what is the cost of a filter compared to the cost of the engine is something goes wrong with cleaning the filter. And unless you have a foam filter I would never consider washing out a paper filter with soap and water. Good way to destroy the filter material.