Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects

/ Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I have a general question that a search did not yield any results. I take my loader off of my little 1025R a lot. Even with the little rubber plugs there is still always grass and dirt in and around the QDs. Where I store my equipment I don't have access to compressed air. I have been using brake cleaner spray to clean the QDs before re-connecting them. Is that the right tactic, or is there a better way?

/ Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects #2  
As long as the brake cleaner chemicals don't attack the o-rings or othere elastomer parts you should be fine.

/ Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects #3  
When you disconnect, wipe the oil out as best as you can (both sides) and put on whatever you have for covers. Clean them as well. A wd40 type of spray for cleaning, but without the presence of a bunch of oil, there's not much for dirt, grass or dust to stick to. (y)

/ Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects #4  
I all ways use Simple Green! Removes oil, dirt & ect and it dose not hurt seals.

/ Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects
I'll pick up a can of WD and use it from now on. My zero turn is loaned out to a friend so I have been mowing a lot with the belly mower. Grass cakes everything. I hate to get it in the hydraulics.

/ Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects #8  
   / Cleaning gunky hydraulic quick disconnects #10  
I never clean mine and I use them constantly. The residual fluid that comes with the disconnect and my finger is enough. Usually the backside of my tractors are coated with residual fluid until they get washed off.

I don't use the plugs anymore. Kubota sells snap caps that fit over the QD with a spring loaded cover that snaps closed. Much easier and less messy. They look like scope covers on a rifle scope actually.