Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
DPF light is coming on again, it is time to do something about it. I thought I would turn to YouTube U to learn more about this topic. Lots of videos of guys washing out their DPF filter rather than poking holes in it. I wonder if this works ok. Has anyone cleaned rather than gut the DPF? I feel like I should give this a shot before I gut it. Once it is gutted it's done for, no turning back. It took about 150 hours for the reman'd filter to get clogged up after the last time this happened. I can live with that. Opinions?

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #2  
It doesn't show as a separate part on my 3725 parts diagram but there are V band clamps on the cannister. So you should be able to take it apart and get at the DPF to clean it, or leave it out if cleaning doesn't work.

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #3  
4 to 1 water and muratic (pool) acid. Let it soak for 20-30 minutes with some agitating. Rinses really really well, and let it air dry.
Will not hurt the ceramic or stainless (if diluted as above) but will clear most of the ash deposits.
Again 4 parts water to 1 part muratic acid.
But is it gums up that fast are you sure your injectors in the DOC are working and the system actually regens?

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #4  
Some info...

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #5  
There are advantages with new technology.
But I am glad much of my stuff doesn't have it.

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter
4 to 1 water and muratic (pool) acid. Let it soak for 20-30 minutes with some agitating. Rinses really really well, and let it air dry.
Will not hurt the ceramic or stainless (if diluted as above) but will clear most of the ash deposits.
Again 4 parts water to 1 part muratic acid.
But is it gums up that fast are you sure your injectors in the DOC are working and the system actually regens?
Thanks for that recipe, might be worth a shot.

This is a 2018 Branson. No DOC and no active regen. From my understanding it is supposed to just burn off under heavy use. This is the second time in 350 hours that it has gotten to this point.

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #7  
Thanks for that recipe, might be worth a shot.

This is a 2018 Branson. No DOC and no active regen. From my understanding it is supposed to just burn off under heavy use. This is the second time in 350 hours that it has gotten to this point.
Your filter, the "DPF" has "DOC" inside it. DOC= Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is what is inside the honeycomb screen inside your exhaust filter canister (the "DPF").

Anyway, mine's been sitting on a shelf for the last 5 years, and hasn't given me any problems since I set it there.

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #8  
Your filter, the "DPF" has "DOC" inside it. DOC= Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is what is inside the honeycomb screen inside your exhaust filter canister (the "DPF").

Anyway, mine's been sitting on a shelf for the last 5 years, and hasn't given me any problems since I set it there.
Could well be true...
My LS has an active DOC, injector and igniter to raise temps during regen. SO many different systems out there and they all their issues and use more fuel than just running an old diesel motor. IMHO

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter
I think I am going to just gut this thing and be done with it.

/ Cleaning vs. Poking holes in DPF filter #10  
Are you using fuel additives? What kind? Are you adding a lubricant like ATF or 2-cycle oil to your fuel? Biodiesel or other?