Clearance Deal

/ Clearance Deal #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I just love getting a deal on a clearanced item. I needed to pick up a few 2x4's at Lowe's yesterday. I had to walk past the tool section to get to the 2x4's so I planned on walking in and seeing what, if anything, new was on clearance. They had this Makita 10" table saw w/ stand sitting in the isle right in front of the tool section. I asked the tool guy if it had been opened or returned and he said "no its just the last one of those we had in stock, were not going to carry that model anymore". It still had the factory tape on the box so I snatched it up. I was planning on buying a larger more expensive floor model after my pole barn is done but for $150 I may as well use it to build the pole barn.

Attachments

• 6-187768-Clearance_Saw.jpg
    6-187768-Clearance_Saw.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 146
   / Clearance Deal #2  
Some people have all the luck. I hear about great deals all the time, but I'm not lucky to be at the right place at the right time. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif That's a great deal, that you got there. I paid $169 for my Craftsman 10". I'm sure the Makita is much nicer. Good Luck with the Pole Barn.

Kent

/ Clearance Deal #3  
Spencer, good going on being in the right place at the right time.
Now, when you start that pole barn project, we need pictures.
PJ

/ Clearance Deal
It's been started for about two weeks now. I got 3 or 4 more posts up last night. I say 3 or 4 because I had to set a 4"x6" post right next to a 6"x6" post in the same hole. The 4"x6" will support one side of a glue lam beam.

Attachments

• 6-187854-11_Poles_Up.jpg
    6-187854-11_Poles_Up.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 117
   / Clearance Deal
Here is the 4"x6" and the 6"x6" in the same hole.

Attachments

• 6-187855-6x6_4x6.jpg
    6-187855-6x6_4x6.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 97
   / Clearance Deal #6  
That is a pretty nice saw. I use the same one in my workshop - I have a nice blade and an auxiliary table that it sits in to make it a full size table saw and I have turned out some pretty nice finished products with it. I use the blade it came with for rough work. (The stand included made a great stand for my benchtop drill press!!)

/ Clearance Deal #7  
Spenc, those post don't look green, preasure treated?? Something special?? Looks like a lot of sand layed down there too?
What are your dimensions?

thanks
gary

/ Clearance Deal
Gary, They are pressure treated posts with .60 retention. My neighbor had a pole barn built around 8 or 9 years ago when he moved into his house. He told me to make sure that I showed the inspector the tags that were stapled to each post. He said that back when he was having his built that the inspector made the guys building it take a couple of the posts back out of the ground so he could inspect the tags. So when I was picking up my building permit I asked the inspector (who reviewed my plans) if he needed to see the posts before they were put into the ground. He said no need, you are using all 4"x6" and 6"x6" posts and those only come with .60 retention. Then I was told to go ahead and get started setting the posts, just leave the last few holes unfilled so we can make sure your deep enough. I guess my neighbor must of had some 4"x4"s in his barn.

Yes that is a lot of sand layed down there. This area was pretty much woods last fall when I moved in. I didn't have the tractor then but I started cutting down the trees. I left the stumps about 2 to 3 feet high for a bulldozer to push them over. Then of course I decided to try getting them out myself this winter with my new tractor. I ended up getting them all out with my "mighty forks". You can see the threads and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=120670&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Unbelievable? if you are interested. I've attached a photo of me working on a stump in the pole barn area. You can see in the photo the soil conditions are not suitable for building. I ended up scraping about 12" to 18" of crap (topsoil, roots, etc.) from this entire area. I had clean fill sand delivered in intervals and spread, leveled, and compacted it down as I went. What you see there is about 260 yards of sand. I wanted to get the area higher than the surrounding woods and higher than the driveway. I will still probably go a couple of inches higher in spots but I got it close enough to start setting the posts. I won't have enough money for concrete slabs for a year or two so there will be plenty of time for the sand to settle. All I plan on getting done before winter is the posts and the shingled roof. The metal and the doors will have to wait until I have more time and money.

The main section of the pole barn will be 32' by 56'. It will have a 12' by 16' lean-to on the left side for the tractor. It will also have a 16' by 16' addition on the right side as an entrance to the shop area. I will try and post a layout of the pole barn in my next post.

Attachments

• 6-188184-Stump_Removal_1.jpg
    6-188184-Stump_Removal_1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 86
   / Clearance Deal
Here is the layout of the pole barn. I should probably start a new thread on my pole barn project but knowing that it will be a couple of years before it is done I figured people would lose interest. The total square footage including the lean-to is 2246 square feet.

Attachments

• 6-188187-UsageJpeg.jpg
    6-188187-UsageJpeg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 92
   / Clearance Deal #10  
You may be so happy with the 10" that you will never get a larger saw. I have a Delta model 10" and it does everything I need it to do. If I ever get a larger saw, it will be a radial arm saw.