Clearing 5 year growth

/ Clearing 5 year growth #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I’m looking to clear grown up fields and have a 80hp massey cab tractor and extra heavy duty 6’ land pride brush hog. The growth is 5-7 years and some of the trees are up to 4” in diameter. Would I be OK using what I have or should I really be looking at a skid steer with front heavy duty gutter? Don’t really want to tear up my tractor but I do have a front loader and could mash down all the material before running over it. Thanks

/ Clearing 5 year growth #2  
some of the trees are up to 4” in diameter.

How many and how close together? A good rotary cutter should clear grasses and brush fine. If the trees are sparse enough, work around them and take them down later. If it's like the place I was considering where the trees are dense enough to make it difficult to walk through, you'll need a mulcher.

/ Clearing 5 year growth #3  
A picture might help. Use your bush hog on anything 2" or less. Cut the remainder with a chain saw and finish with a stand alone or PTO driven chipper. Or if the big ones are thick - get a mulcher as previously suggested.