Clearing job

The Dougster

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
Speaking of clearing, I was at the ranch over the weekend after making arrangements for a dozer operator to come out for two days to grub mesquites. I have an area, approximately 30 acres, that was literally covered with mesquite trees. No, he didn't complete the 30 acres in two days but he cleared about 2/3 rds of it and estimates it will take another day and a half to finish.

The amazing thing about this is that he did the work for only $72/hour... Granted he has a smallish dozer and no doubt a larger dozer would have finished the job, but the last dozer operator I hired costs me $150/hour.

I don't see how he can make a profit but he's happy and I'm happy. You can bet I'll hire him again and soon. The pasture looks absolutely great.

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
Cant get your link to work......But an old excavator is what i really need...

Sweet job! :D You hardly disturbed a mm of that topsoil! Clean as a whistle!

Yup... excavator with a thumb. Preferably hydraulic. Real slick with about 5-6 inches of frost in the ground. Idle up to those big Poplars and rock 'em back and forth a few times about 12' up on the trunk and - pop - goes the roots and the root wad to the surface!

Grab and stack.

Thanks for the pictures. Enjoyed the scenery (and the work)!

AKfish