Clearing stumps?

/ Clearing stumps? #11  
The quickest and cheapest way to rid yourself of just a dozen <8 inch stumps might be a chain saw, some older chains, a mattock and a round point shovel. You might be surprised at how fast, easy and cheap that would be. I've done it on much larger stumps....:2cents: 034.JPG032.JPG038.JPG040.JPG

Cheers,
Mike

/ Clearing stumps? #13  
I guess we all assumed that was too obvious and that he was trying to do it with what he had at his house. But you're right no better way to get rid of a stump except for maybe a backhoe.
He was asking about what he had on-hand but I will add to the thought about the stump grinder. I rented one years ago & it worked great. I then bought one that attaches to my old L Model Gravely that works great. It does give you a pretty good workout & I wouldn't want to use it all day long

/ Clearing stumps? #14  
The quickest and cheapest way to rid yourself of just a dozen <8 inch stumps might be a chain saw, some older chains, a mattock and a round point shovel. You might be surprised at how fast, easy and cheap that would be. I've done it on much larger stumps....:2cents:View attachment 536719View attachment 536720View attachment 536721View attachment 536722

Cheers,
Mike

That's like suggesting someone use a wheelbarrow to move dirt!

*shudders*

Not the advice of a friend there (at least on TBN anyway).

:laughing:

/ Clearing stumps? #15  
I was going to suggest a sub-soiler for smaller stumps but, I don't think your tractor is big enough to pull 8" stumps with it.

/ Clearing stumps? #16  
I bought a small backhoe. If you know how to work it, I am taking out at least 1 tree stump a day. I have removed 60 stumps in just over a year. Cleared almost 1 full acre. These are 130ft tall red oak mostly. Its only a b2620 with the bh65 backhoe.

/ Clearing stumps? #17  
Drill 3 or 4 1" holes down from the top and fill them with nitrate fertilizer. When they dry out this summer, pile some slash on top and burn them. The stump and the roots will burn very cleanly. I have had trees with shallow roots burn 10' from the stump with this technique.

/ Clearing stumps? #18  
How come no one has mentioned the Stump Grinder? I suppose that a major excavation of side roots and all is more through, but removing the main stump and immediate side roots down to about 6-8 inches would suffice for many of us. I guess that the "needs" vary among us.

Good Morning All,
Mike

Because stump grinding is for city folks, small jobs, way to slow and expesive compared to using heavy equipment, leaves sink holes, and NH soul simply eats stump grinders

/ Clearing stumps? #19  
I bought a small backhoe. If you know how to work it, I am taking out at least 1 tree stump a day. I have removed 60 stumps in just over a year. Cleared almost 1 full acre. These are 130ft tall red oak mostly. Its only a b2620 with the bh65 backhoe.

Sure is nice to have time on your hands.

/ Clearing stumps? #20  
The quickest and cheapest way to rid yourself of just a dozen <8 inch stumps might be a chain saw, some older chains, a mattock and a round point shovel. You might be surprised at how fast, easy and cheap that would be. I've done it on much larger stumps....:2cents:View attachment 536719View attachment 536720View attachment 536721View attachment 536722

Cheers,
Mike

yep this works well. in fact you can use your tractor loader bucket to get a lot of the dirt from around the stump and then just use the shovel to cleanup what it left. It really isn't that hard.