Clearing Trails

/ Clearing Trails #21  
I've got a Bobcat Skidsteer S250 and I cleared out a 6 foot wide trail through about 50 acres in one afternoon. If you don't have access to borrow one then rent one for a day. They are not that expensive to rent. I took out trees 8" in diameter. You might have to dig around the rootball of some of the larger trees to push them down. I've got a clam shell bucket on mine which makes picking up piles easily done.

/ Clearing Trails #22  
The sweat equity for the kids is a great idea. I put in quite a few paths for my (now 9 years old) daughter and she road the 4 wheeler on them a couple of times then became bored and really hasn't been back on them unless I ride them with her.
I had few trees around where I was cutting my paths but my concern was hidden rocks. I started with the landscape rake, then went back with the rotary cutter and then finally the belly mower. I keep all the trails mowed now because my wife walks them. Not sure they would stand up to constant ATV use those by keeping them mowed short.
Just one other thing about the chain saw. Don't forget about the tree that you just cut down. The chain saw is something you can control, however sometimes a tree can do funny things when cut. I've seen them spin on their stump, fall opposite from the way you cut it, etc. People usually won't go to a dentist with a crushed head or all of his teeth knocked out! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But it sounds like you got the safety thing down. Good luck and have fun with the kids clearing the trails

/ Clearing Trails #23  
One of the first things I did was show my daughter the balance points on the quad. I did this by having her sit on it (not running of course) while I balanced it on both right side, left side & rear tires. It showed her and allowed her to safely FEEL where the point of no return was before flipping over. Now she doesn't ride anywhere with much slope, but she knows what it would feel like before it would roll. I also had her practice bailing off without having it roll on top of her. Where she rides, she'll likely never have to use it but I wanted her prepared for the worst should it occur.

As mentioned earlier, slime your tires and it should eliminate most flats. I've never had a flat from running over small stumps. But over time the tires will settle the dirt around them until they become exposed and can give the handle bars a nasty unexpected jerk. Keep an eye on them.

/ Clearing Trails #24  
I'm a bit hesitent posting this because it may be misinterpreted, but here goes...

While learning the handling characteristics of an ATV, you can SLOWLY drive in figure "8's" causing the bike to GENTLY lift the inboard rear tire. This also helps with getting a feel of the balance of the bike and how turning the other direction compensates. I WOULD NOT allow my kid to do this untill I was sure he was comfortable with the bike in general and I was there to watch...

Like I said, you can take it however you will, but to respect a tool you must know its limits... I prefer to be there when he learns something potentially dangerous, they will do it at some point,whether you're there or not......Just be very carefull..

/ Clearing Trails #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ,,,suggested that using dozer would result in trails that were too wide and would really tear up the terrain... )</font>

Now that is an interesting comment. Trails to wide. Personally I would want my trails two or three "mistakes" wide. The dozer route would give you not only that room, but also give you the ability to hold off the eventual regrowth of the trail for a time. Maintenance of saplings and overgrowth from limbs can be very time consuming.

What ever way you choose,best of luck!

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clearing Trails #26  
Figure 8's...thats how I learned too. But I'm more protective of the kids than of myself for some reason. Seems like it always took me a 'close call' to learn the limits.

I like trails 1 1/2 times the width of my tractor for trimming and plenty of room while riding. Deer & turkeys seem to love them too.

/ Clearing Trails #27  
I agree with the width of the trails. Most of mine are 8 to 10 feet wide however some places narrow down to 5 or 6 feet due to rocks sticking up. Even at that wide the grass will grow up and lean over taking a good portion of the trail. It might not be as important for ATV's, but for walking it is. I've notice the deer in the back yard follow the trails as well as the turkeys.

/ Clearing Trails
Tact,

I actually called the rental yard on Saturday to inquire about a Bobcat. Unfortunately, they were closed. Thanks for the reminder. I called them after reading your post today. I may give the skidsteer a try.

Kubota Steve

I hope the kids don't get bored. I think the trail will be about 1/2 mile in length when complete. Lots of turns, but most are gentle, some gentle hills, a couple of straight aways. I'm pleased with the layout. I'm hoping to take the kids to some ORV parks occassionally to get in some long rides. But, to have a place at home for them to run around when they want will be nice (for me too).

BlueToy1,

I like that idea of giving them a sense of the limitiations of these vehicles. Not being much of a risk taker myself, I struggled with the idea of getting machines for the kids that I know can be dangerous (even lethal) if not used correctly. Unfortunately, until I can get us all scheduled for the safety course, I am responsible for all instruction. And, having no first hand experience myself, all I can do is read and share what i read with the kids. Its the blind leading the blind. So, I do appreciate hearing about practical exercises from experienced riders like yourself. Thanks.

HGM,

Don't hesitate to offer tips. I understand exactly what you are saying and I think that this would be another good exercise to improve riding skills. Appreciate it.

Riptides and KubotaSteve,

<font color="blue"> Now that is an interesting comment. Trails to wide. Personally I would want my trails two or three "mistakes" wide. </font>

That was my thought when I originally planned to have the dozer guy cut the trails. The rationale for making the trails narrow (and curvy) is that it limits speed. On wide and straight trails, the kids could go full bore and be more likely to have a high speed accident. Keeping them narrow and curvy will make them go at a more reasonable speed. As I've said before, this is all new to me and I'm relying on help from more seasoned riders. I can see merit to either arguement. From a selfish standpoint, narrow trails = fewer trees to clear = less work for daddy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, KubotaSteve, Congratulations to your WV Mountaineers for a well-played game last night in the Sugar Bowl. Although they beat my GA Bulldogs, I have to admit that WV played better. It was no cheap win. From the looks of things, the Mountaineers have a bright future with several young, very talented players and a good coach.

/ Clearing Trails #29  
My dislikes for narrow trails are the overhanging grass/briars along the edges & with a narrow trail it would be very easy for an novice rider to side swipe a tree if our concentration waivers. Doing so causes a sudden turning (and painful) motion of the handle bars. Dont ask how I know!! As they become more comfortable with the quads, they're going to 'test the limits'. I vote to give them the extra width to test without getting hurt.

/ Clearing Trails #30  
Since you mentioned it...
Another tool I found very useful is my battery powered hedge trimmers. They work really well on briars and small branches..