Click, click, click

/ Click, click, click #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
My 6520 didn't wanna start this morning. It did the same thing Sunday, so I made sure to let it idle at 1000 rpm for a while before shuting down. It just went click, when I turned the key to start. I tried it again and heard........click, click, click, then it started will plenty of starting rpm. Is my starter solenoid on it's way out? Is it on the starter? As that was were the clicking sound seemed to be coming from.
hugs, Brandi

/ Click, click, click #2  
One way to check if it is the starter is have someone tap the side of the starter with a hammer while you try to start it. If tapping with a hammer causes it to spin right over or spin faster it is the starter. If no change in symptoms it could be a solenoid or a battery/connection issue. Has it suddenly gotten colder there? That could indicate a weak battery. Also, check your alternator output with a volt meter to see if you are getting at least 13.8 volts. 13.8 to 14.2 is good. Bruce

/ Click, click, click #3  
Insufficient voltage to the solenoid.
Get your meter out and check the battery. Remove battery cables, wire brush both cables and terminals and replace.
You may need a new battery.....

/ Click, click, click #4  
Brandi, I would check my battery connections first. Then Battery.

/ Click, click, click #5  
My 6520 didn't wanna start this morning. It did the same thing Sunday, so I made sure to let it idle at 1000 rpm for a while before shuting down. It just went click, when I turned the key to start. I tried it again and heard........click, click, click, then it started will plenty of starting rpm. Is my starter solenoid on it's way out? Is it on the starter? As that was were the clicking sound seemed to be coming from.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, have you gotten a new battery yet? Mine went 10 years, but that was it. Cold weather shows a weak battery quick. :eek:

/ Click, click, click #6  
Agree. Clean all connections first

/ Click, click, click #7  
My battery after 6 years died, had the click, voltage was there (12v) but not the amps to turn it over. Have your battery checked out for the amps. New battery solved my problem.

idaho2

/ Click, click, click #8  
I agree with other posters. If Battery has some age I would start with that, even if the connections are good and the voltage on battery and alternator are correct you could still have a battery cell shorting out. A shorting cell can cause intermediate starting. Need to load test at battery shop to check for short, unless you have a load tester.

/ Click, click, click #9  
Brandi, I had the same problem with the solenoid on the 6000...sometimes it would take 8-12 turns of the key before it would "catch"...the battery tested good (I got 7 or 8 years out of the original), so I looked up the starter solenoid thing...you can take the solenoid off by itself, take it apart and clean the "rod" that does the connection...I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (spel), got some very thin synthetic clear grease, rubbed the syn. grease on the rod and cleaned around inside the solenoid itself....(this was about 5 years ago)....hasn't missed a beat since...apparently the rod has a tendency to have a "sticky" spot in it after a few years and this is where it will "stop" and you get the click...you being a mech., you can do this in your sleep...pretty sure this is the solution..if so, its an easy fix. Bobg in VA

/ Click, click, click
Brandi, I had the same problem with the solenoid on the 6000...sometimes it would take 8-12 turns of the key before it would "catch"...the battery tested good (I got 7 or 8 years out of the original), so I looked up the starter solenoid thing...you can take the solenoid off by itself, take it apart and clean the "rod" that does the connection...I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (spel), got some very thin synthetic clear grease, rubbed the syn. grease on the rod and cleaned around inside the solenoid itself....(this was about 5 years ago)....hasn't missed a beat since...apparently the rod has a tendency to have a "sticky" spot in it after a few years and this is where it will "stop" and you get the click...you being a mech., you can do this in your sleep...pretty sure this is the solution..if so, its an easy fix. Bobg in VA
Bob,
That sounds like what it is. Can you take the solenoid off without taking the starter off? We have about 7 inches of rain in the last two weekends, so that might be contributing to it being ornery.

Everyone else...... The battery is about a year old. I skipped talking about the battery having enough voltage because I typed in post#1..........then it started will plenty of starting rpm This tells me the battery has plenty of voltage and no bad connections. Cold here:confused3:........funny:laughing:......it doesn't get cold in Southeast Texas until January.:2cents:

Thanks for everybody's thoughts on this and trying to help.:thumbsup:
hugs, Brandi