Clouds of skeeters!

/ Clouds of skeeters! #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
My yard is uninhabitable right now. The mosquitos were bad yesterday, but are horrible today. Is there any treatment I can use, and is it safe to used around animals? Even my goats are cowering in the barn.

/ Clouds of skeeters! #2  
i thought they were a Wisconsin thing i have not seen them this bad.

/ Clouds of skeeters! #3  
Been a fairly cool wet Spring here in Michigan. I knew an old electrician in the Lapeer area. When he was digging his big pond.. tossed a stick of dynamite into the air over the pond whilst they were working the dragline. Knocked them down out of the air for a time..... :)

/ Clouds of skeeters! #4  
Probably too late now, but put a couple of bat boxes up on your power poles, they will sure enough clean 'em out!

/ Clouds of skeeters! #5  
Malithion is the best insecticide for Skeeters.
My dad always called it "Dairy fly Spray" , that was way back in the 50's.
Here in Florida they run a fogging truck after sunset and even Choppers spraying from the air with Malithion. We even have "Mosquito Control" county agency!!

OFF sells a thingie that you wear on your belt that runs on batteries and takes chemical refills that puts out something that REALLY keeps the Skeeters away! If the wind is not howling it does a great job.
I'm dealing with Skeeters that are about 1" tall and bite right through clothing!

/ Clouds of skeeters! #6  
well i thought it was just us having that problem. my yard was covered in mosquito's when there was a heavy dew on . i put some ortho max on last week and i havenot seen near as many as i did before. now the tick's are the worst they have ever been here. we found some stuff that will keep them off the pets. we tried all the major brands no help. sentry fipro guard for dogs not found a tic sense we put in on the dogs. get it at ts

/ Clouds of skeeters! #7  
Skeeters are bad all over Michigan this year.

Talked to a buddy in the U.P. this morning and he nailed 14 between his house and shop, with another half dozen escaping the swat.

He got one of those electric bug zapper swatters, and he and the kids make a game of timed "Innings" of one min.
Three innings to a game. Any missed swat is a strike.

Down here in the SW corner, they are plumb ridiculous around all our swamps and berry fields.

Malathion puts skeeters down, but it's short lived. Mustang max and the old guithion puts a nuclear whoopin' on them for a week...but around the house the stuff isn't safe. Tempo does a good job and isn't as nasty, just expensive.

Me and the neighbors all have fruit crops, so everyone is spraying Immidan and lannate for fruit worm moths and thier larvae, so we finally got the Ticks knocked down. They are really, really bad this year. Picked half a dozen off my neck and head the other day, while setting up irrigation in a pond that hasn't been sprayed due to restrictions. Nasty little bastards!
I gotta get busy and mow the whole place down to the nubbins, and let the birds thin them out.

/ Clouds of skeeters! #8  
well i thought it was just us having that problem. my yard was covered in mosquito's when there was a heavy dew on . i put some ortho max on last week and i havenot seen near as many as i did before. now the tick's are the worst they have ever been here. we found some stuff that will keep them off the pets. we tried all the major brands no help. sentry fipro guard for dogs not found a tic sense we put in on the dogs. get it at ts

Sam,

About the best thing for Ticks that is consumer grade, is plain old Sevin(Carbaryl) mixed with a good sticker.
Several of the consumer branded "lawn pest" liquid concentrates still use Carbaryl as the primary component, but you have to look, as quite a few have gone to Pyrethin based ingedients that aren't as effective.

Good luck!!

/ Clouds of skeeters! #9  
I had a big problem with the mossys, 25 years ago when we bought the property. I cut a couple of flyways for the birds, and put up several bat houses, and the problem went away in about 2 years. I figure that I have over a 100 bats on the property, and they each eat 600 mossys an hour. They clean out the homestead first then go out hunting for more around the area. The birds work the day shift, and the bats work the night shift.

/ Clouds of skeeters! #10  
Dragonflies are another good natural predator of mosquitoes. It's sort of a Catch-22 since they both breed in similar water habitats, but I figure the mosquitoes will be there no matter what, may as well let the dragonflies eat them.