Clutch in 5740C is mechanical

/ Clutch in 5740C is mechanical #1  

Unclebuck257

Platinum Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740C
My 05 5740C clutch started to slip slightly about 3 weeks ago in 3rd and 4th gears. After checking and most folks telling me it had a hydraulic clutch in it that couldn't be adjusted, and could only be replaced at a cost of $2500-$3000, I finally found my old Montana dealer who I bought it from back in 05. He's still in the tractor business, but like many others who sold Montanas, he hasn't handled them in several years now, but he still works on them for his old customers.

He told me that the 5740C has a mechanical clutch in it that definitely can be adjusted the way clutches used to be, and that if I got it to him he could adjust it for me in about an hour. That was good news for me as I don't readily have the money for a replacement clutch at this time. I'm getting it to him early next week for an adjustment.

I posted this hoping it will help others with any clutch problems and stop them from spending money on an expensive new clutch replacement they may not have and may not need to spend.

/ Clutch in 5740C is mechanical #2  
My 05 5740C clutch started to slip slightly about 3 weeks ago in 3rd and 4th gears. After checking and most folks telling me it had a hydraulic clutch in it that couldn't be adjusted, and could only be replaced at a cost of $2500-$3000, I finally found my old Montana dealer who I bought it from back in 05. He's still in the tractor business, but like many others who sold Montanas, he hasn't handled them in several years now, but he still works on them for his old customers.

He told me that the 5740C has a mechanical clutch in it that definitely can be adjusted the way clutches used to be, and that if I got it to him he could adjust it for me in about an hour. That was good news for me as I don't readily have the money for a replacement clutch at this time. I'm getting it to him early next week for an adjustment.

I posted this hoping it will help others with any clutch problems and stop them from spending money on an expensive new clutch replacement they may not have and may not need to spend.
Do you know where he adjusted the clutch? I have read there is a screw under the steering wheel but i cannot find it. I have an 07 5740C.

/ Clutch in 5740C is mechanical #3  
On some there is an Allen head on the fulcrum pedal arrangement that makes up the clutch, brakes, and you'll see a braided line that is an emergency brake. There is also a threaded rod there- it is kinda like Grade 8 plated bolt material color. You can loose a nut that is like a collar on it to take or remove slack. As you are sitting on the tractor, it is on the lhs in there where the braided cable is.

The clutch is not hydraulic. It is identical to LG NEO 53.

/ Clutch in 5740C is mechanical #4  
On some there is an Allen head on the fulcrum pedal arrangement that makes up the clutch, brakes, and you'll see a braided line that is an emergency brake. There is also a threaded rod there- it is kinda like Grade 8 plated bolt material color. You can loose a nut that is like a collar on it to take or remove slack. As you are sitting on the tractor, it is on the lhs in there where the braided cable is.

The clutch is not hydraulic. It is identical to LG NEO 53.
Geardoc mine is doing the same thing. Seems to be a trend. I couldn’t really follow your method of adjusting. I’m a little slow. Any chance of getting some pics or just a short video?