Clutch issues

/ Clutch issues #11  
The bearing does not make noise all of the time just usually while moving in the higher gears. I do not believe that it is greaseable there is no way to get to it since it is inside the bell housing. It does slip at only the higher gears. But not all the time it’s very strange. The tires are filled. The clutch has been adjusted several times trying to make up for the slipping issue.

Well now that additional information is interesting. Throw out bearings don't make noise when the tractor is moving unless adjusted way wrong. But maybe I missed something; what made you think it was a throw out bearing on the first place?

You can't adjust the clutch itself. It doesn't have adjustments. All you can do is adjust the clutch foot pedal to make sure it has clearance before it begns to push the throwout bearing against the spinning clutch. Adjusting the pedal to have a quarter or half inch or so of "free play" on the foot pedal before anything starts to happen insures that the throwout bearing doesn't do anything until you push in on the clutch.

It's true that if the throwout didn't have free play it could cause the clutch to slip. That is why they are adjusted to have clearance.

The point is that if there is clearance and the noise happens while moving in the higher gears it is probably something else.
rScotty

/ Clutch issues #12  
Good point rScotty. I was concentrating on the slipping and not really concerned with the noise.

/ Clutch issues #13  
Good point rScotty. I was concentrating on the slipping and not really concerned with the noise.

We just need more information. And particularly info on if the clutch adjustment was done to insure clearance. It bothers me that the clutch was adjusted "several times". Usually you adjust a clutch and it doesn't change for many years. You can tell with your foot if it needs it. If his somehow got adjusted to not have clearance that could definitely cause noise and slipping in high gears.
rScotty

/ Clutch issues #14  
Having no pedal free-play clearance or a operator resting a foot on the pedal will take a throw-out bearing (and cause slip). Noisy while driving.......hmmm

/ Clutch issues #15  
Having no pedal free-play clearance or a operator resting a foot on the pedal will take a throw-out bearing (and cause slip). Noisy while driving.......hmmm

Sure, I agree. In fact every experienced mechanic agrees. We all figure a guy with a clutch knows the basics. Seems reasonable - but remember that we were brought up with manual clutches and have all of us changed a few. He might not have been lucky enough to have done either.

Anyway, while we are waiting for the OP to respond lets suppose just for arguement that it IS adjusted to have free play , and he ISN'T riding the clutch pedal with his foot... Then what might it be?

rScotty