Code reader

/ Code reader #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
My mom wants to get my dad a obd code reader for Christmas and called me to ask what she should get. Unfortunately I haven't kept up with these over the last five years or so, so I'm not really sure. He will be using it for normal homeowner diagnostic work. Vehicle currently are 2015 grand Cherokee, 2008 ram, 2005? Dodge minivan, 2006? Subaru car, and a 2007 ram. Can a good scan tool be purchased without going crazy on price?
Thanks

/ Code reader #2  
Yes. I bought one from Auto Zone, it was around $70. I bought a Chilton manual too that gives you the codes. Use it on my vehicles, especially my 97 F150. Comes in handy.

/ Code reader #3  
I havent kept up with them either. Someone gave me a CarMD one a few years back and it works fine. But I think they are all about the same. Just reads the code and then up to you to do the figuring out as to why. (An o2 code doesnt always mean an o2 sensor is bad)

The really nice ones are the actual scanners. Like the snap on modis. Allow you to view real time info. IE: if you get that O2 code, you can actually watch it and see the reading.

/ Code reader #4  
I got one off Amazon a few yrs ago. Large 4" x 4" screen. Can't remember the brand but it was $69.

Whatever you get fine one that does live data. It will show you oil pressure, trans temp, vacuum, ect. Even if the car does not have the gauges.

Chris

/ Code reader #5  
My mom wants to get my dad a obd code reader for Christmas and called me to ask what she should get. Unfortunately I haven't kept up with these over the last five years or so, so I'm not really sure. He will be using it for normal homeowner diagnostic work. Vehicle currently are 2015 grand Cherokee, 2008 ram, 2005? Dodge minivan, 2006? Subaru car, and a 2007 ram. Can a good scan tool be purchased without going crazy on price?
Thanks

If he has a smart phone or tablet, Bluetooth models are only $15 and offer more options than cheaper handhelds. Just need to purchase a $5 app called "torque". If he doesn't have a tablet, get him that too. Love mine.

/ Code reader
I havent kept up with them either. Someone gave me a CarMD one a few years back and it works fine. But I think they are all about the same. Just reads the code and then up to you to do the figuring out as to why. (An o2 code doesnt always mean an o2 sensor is bad) The really nice ones are the actual scanners. Like the snap on modis. Allow you to view real time info. IE: if you get that O2 code, you can actually watch it and see the reading.

Thanks, It changes so much it's tough unless you follow them regularly.

I got one off Amazon a few yrs ago. Large 4" x 4" screen. Can't remember the brand but it was $69. Whatever you get fine one that does live data. It will show you oil pressure, trans temp, vacuum, ect. Even if the car does not have the gauges. Chris

Thanks, I'll find something that does live data, he would want that.

/ Code reader
Yes. I bought one from Auto Zone, it was around $70. I bought a Chilton manual too that gives you the codes. Use it on my vehicles, especially my 97 F150. Comes in handy.

Thanks

If he has a smart phone or tablet, Bluetooth models are only $15 and offer more options than cheaper handhelds. Just need to purchase a $5 app called "torque". If he doesn't have a tablet, get him that too. Love mine.

Does the Bluetooth model show live data? I sort of remember a guy at work talking about getting this setup. I'll check it out.

/ Code reader #9  
I have a approx. $100 Actron model, don't have the number here at work. It does everything you would expect. Plan on upgrading to a laptop based platform, still researching which one to purchase. You can pickup software that will show pending codes, real time data and other info a "basic" ODBII reader won't show. Should be more useful for not a whole lot more $$$.

Q

/ Code reader #10  
Harbor freight has a cheap and a spendier one, the cheap one does work completely, its just no frills. The bigger one is the better, has data hold, etc.. Heck, even WalMart was them