Code reader

/ Code reader #21  
I just purchased & downloaded Dashcommand for my iPad. Also ordered an OBD 2 adapter to use with it. Amazon.com : VIMVIP ELM327 WIFI Wireless OBD2 OBDII Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Reader for iPhone4S/ 5 iPad 4 iPad Air iOS PC : Car Electronics
It'll replace the Actron CP 9580 hand held that I currently have. As it stands now, I figured that the Dashcommand iOS would be easy to update when necessary as opposed to having no means to update the software in the Actron. There's only the OBD II cord with it and no way to attach it to a computer.

/ Code reader #22  
My mom wants to get my dad a obd code reader for Christmas and called me to ask what she should get. Unfortunately I haven't kept up with these over the last five years or so, so I'm not really sure. He will be using it for normal homeowner diagnostic work. Vehicle currently are 2015 grand Cherokee, 2008 ram, 2005? Dodge minivan, 2006? Subaru car, and a 2007 ram. Can a good scan tool be purchased without going crazy on price?
Thanks

I think the simply answer to your question is - No. There seems to be two price ranges; Cheap or Expensive. Cheap code readers do only that. They'll give you a code for SOME of the potential problems. No definitions, no fix recommendations, freeze frame, not live data, and limited areas.

Expensive models, i.e. those costing $150 or more, give info on problems and potential problems, live data including graphs, verified fix history, info on ABS, SRS, diesel vehicles, etc. (If his vehicle has ABS brakes, that feature could save him big bucks.) Anther thing to be aware of, all scanners do not connect to all vehicles! We have a Pathfinder and discovered that scanners for that brand are extremely limited; most over-the-counter scanners do not read Nissan's. And there are other brands in the same category. Although, most all read Ford, GM, Toyota. Check for compatibility before you buy.

IF I were buying one for myself, I'd go with the Actron CP9580L AutoScanner. That's the model that most Advantage Auto shops use. I'll admit, that scanners are smarter than I am. But I'd rather spend $200 bucks (or less) for a smart scanner than throw hundreds of bucks at a repair, just guessing at the problem, than $200 bucks and KNOW exactly what the problem is, saving hours and hours of labor and unneeded parts. And, if one decides to have the work done at an auto repair shop, a good scanner will simply shut down the BS about what the problem is or was, saving big bucks on some padded mechanics bill.

In short, a GOOD scanner is a good investment, but if you simply want to say you bought him a scanner, they're available for $15 bucks.