Cold Tractor

/ Cold Tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

This weekend I started my tractor, (Ford NH 1630 with 280 hrs), to warm it up. I let it idle for about 15 minutes, and then lifted the FEL to get the hydraulics loosened up. When I lifted the FEL the engine died. I couldn't get it restarted. I checked the fuel line and found ice formed on the fuel filter, so I blew that off and replaced it, but it still doesn't start. I had previously put some antigel in the fuel, (a small pour from a pint that treats 300 gals), but obviously that didn't keep it from gelling. Any ideas on how to get my baby running again.
Any and all help is welcomed.

/ Cold Tractor #2  
Greg - We need more data, or at least, I certainly do.

Does it turn over when you try to start it?

Did it shut off instantly when you tried to lift the FEL, as though it was under a severe load? Or did it just sound like it does when you turn off the key?

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Cold Tractor
I have not tried this yet, but the instructions on the fuel additives said that if the filter is clogged with gel/ice, remove it and fill it with the additive and replace. Add more additive to the tank and follow the restart procedures for changing a fuel filter. (I guess that they are talking about air in the fuel line interduced by removing the filter). Good luck. PS. I don't stay up all nite reading this board. I had a work problem to fix which had me on the computer.

/ Cold Tractor #4  
I've heard anti-gel additive described as a preventative, not a cure. Sort of like adding anti-freeze to a rad doesn't thaw it out. I've also heard that gelled fuel doesn't necessarily ungel at room temperature. The solution I've heard is to drain the tank, flush the system, replace the filter and start over. I sure hope things turn out easier than the solutions I've heard. Mark's advice to make sure that fuel gelling is the only problem is good.

/ Cold Tractor #5  
From the Power Service web site:<font color=blue> MY FUEL IS GELLED, WHAT DO I DO?

When fuel treatment is delayed until fuel filters have plugged and/or fuel has gelled in the equipment tanks, Power Service Diesel 9•1•1 will solve this emergency. Remove the fuel filter and fill it with Diesel 9•1•1. Reinstall the fuel filter, and start the engine! You are now operating on winterized fuel. Power Service saves the need for a service call or tow truck, so it pays to keep a container on hand just for winter emergencies. Maintain fuel operability by adding Arctic Express Antigel or Diesel Fuel Supplement at the ratio recommended on the containers at each subsequent refueling.</font color=blue>
The web site is; http://www.powerservice.com/

Good luck. Rich

/ Cold Tractor
Here is additional information.
The tractor stalled under the load. The engine still cranks when I turn it over, it just doesn't fire. Up till the time I raised the FEL and the load was put on the engine things ran OK.
Thanks again.
Greg

/ Cold Tractor #7  
Greg,
The time that I had jelled fuel, I emptied the jelled fuel out of the filter. Then filled the filter and bowl with Power Service. Then bleed the air bubbles out. My tractor started right off then. Don't forget to put a little in the fuel tank for the rest of the fuel.
JerryG

/ Cold Tractor #8  
Greg - It sounds like you're going to need to bleed the system again after the temperatures warm up a little, or after putting in the extra shot of anti-gel, as was suggested.

I'm not sure why it stalled when you raised the FEL, unless it was because it was barely getting enough fuel through the gelled filter at idle and when you put a little load on it the governor kicked in a little, tried to give it an extra shot of fuel, which finished gelling the filter and killed it.

If the weather doesn't warm up and you can't get it to fire, put a thermostatically controlled heat tape (like for water pipes) around the filter and on the line on both sides of the filter. Make sure it's a good tape with no bare spots, etc. You don't want to set your tractor on fire (though it's very difficult to ignite diesel fuel accidentallly). Let us know what happens.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Cold Tractor
Thanks all for your help. I eventually ended up draining the fuel and replacing it with the Diesel sold at the local truck stop, as well as some antigel.
The project wasn't without incident though. I bought two diesel containers at TSC. When I went to fill one, the hole was too small to put the pump handle into, so I tried the other hole leading to a smaller tube on the container. The nozzle fit, so I pulled the handle, and woosh!!! Diesel fuel in my face!!! I was steamed. After I flushed my eyes out, and cleaned my face, I went back and drained most of the fuel into the other container. It took a while to get the bleeding of the system down, but it eventually started. Let it warm up for a while and then plowed some snow. We had about three inches yesterday, after ten inches on Monday. So I'm happy for the time being. Now I hear another winter storm might hit Iowa on Saturday...Can't wait.
Again thanks all for the advice.

/ Cold Tractor #10  
Greg, we're glad you got that tractor going. And I'm still laughing about your filling of the fuel containers. Reminds me of my teenage years in the service station before the days of automatic cut off nozzles, and some cars were designed to really shoot that gas out at you if you didn't stop in time.

Bird